No announcement yet.

Da Cooley Thriller 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah yeah. Another year another Cooley. Great event. One of my favorites actually. Felt great coming into it and there was a strong bunch of Epicers pulling away at the front. Myself and McGarvey decided to make a break and we were in the zone and very comfortable in 2nd and 3rd. I was at xcm champs levels of feel good and wasn’t noticing the Kms passing by. Then we hit the 30km mark after Niall Davis caught us and it all went a little pear shaped. We went straight on instead of making a right turn on some double track climb. We ended up the other side of it and there was nothing. After a bit of faffing trying to figure out what happened we had to ride back on ourselves until we eventually spotted the flag. We put the foot to the floor to try and make up some ground and buried ourselves. We caught a few lads but used a lot of energy in the process. Colm then had a fairly bad OTB moment and I didn’t really see him after that. I had to try and recover a bit to make it to the finish. After the last feed station I skulled plenty of fluid and started to come around. Ended up 5th overall but wasn’t happy with that especially after how I was feeling before the detour.

Anyway the club put in amazing performances and it was brilliant to see so many jerseys out there. It was grim towards the end and I was glad to get back when I did. Great event as Chris said and defo one to pen in for next year.

Comment

Could G Hand put up a link to the full results please??
      Rigid Micky!! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Mickkky View Post
        Could G Hand put up a link to the full results please??
        Results not up as yet...

Comment

Well done guys that was some effort to get those times. I have not spoken to anyone who didnt get lost at one point or another. especially after that fog rolled in.
          I was on my own for ages, felt like a billy no mates spin :) and missed a right hand turn and carried on up a well ridden single track. Luckily someone saw me in the distance and whistled me back and then the cramp set in and got me 300m from the final decent. Eventually cruised down to the finish.
          Was defo harder and alot more tecky than expected. Was awesome tho. Some proper open mountain riding.
          Will be looking to kick the ass of my time next year for sure!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bootss View Post
            You won your category Mick
            Someone has your trophy and jersey but I can't remember who

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
            Mick, I have your jersey, trophy and an envelope (though Tara swears there was no money in the envelope). I recon they might have changed your cat. given that you won the Sports Vets. Let me know if you are out on Tuesday / Thursday/

Comment

Originally posted by GH-SB75D View Post
              Jaysus! There ya are, I was nearly calling out the mountain rescue for you!!
              Rodney:
              Distance: will it ever fecken end, where’s the next feed station, where the feck am I.
              Elivation: at least twice the height of Everest (it certainly feels that way)
              Calories: 12 snickers, double portion of chicken wings and that cat looks pretty tasty.

Well done on finishing it.

Comment

Da Cooley Thriller 2018

Originally posted by GH-SB75D View Post
                EPIC MTB take the prizes!!

Hats off to all ye category winners (jerseys look class) & all who got thru the Thrilla

This year’s course was degly. Even more open mountain trails.

After last year’s cramp-fest, I managed my effort much better this year and had enough left in the legs on the last climb to move up a few places.

Got lucky landing my my feet after a massive spill down the last rocky descent trying to keep up with Dave Meredith on his awesome new Anthem.

Curry afterwards was heaven followed by a feast of pints in Carlingford & back on the ferry across the loch to the family campsite in Norn Irn. I’ll be doin that part again next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Really happy to finish that yesterday. Puncture about 15/20k in nearly did me in had the wrong valve on my spare. Only some boy had 1 would have had to call it. Weather really made u have to concentrate thanks to the bro and G Hand to get to the finish in 1 piece. Well done to all the epic podium places. First race in a couple óf years defo 1 for the bucket list hopefully be out on a few spins soon

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DaveMeredi View Post
                    Mick, I have your jersey, trophy and an envelope (though Tara swears there was no money in the envelope). I recon they might have changed your cat. given that you won the Sports Vets. Let me know if you are out on Tuesday / Thursday/
                    Thanks Dave. I'm a bit mystified to be honest as I entered classic vets so not sure what the story is. Guess I'll wait and see when the results come out. As for the 'race' it was one of the hardest things I've done on a bike, way too long for me ! I was almost on my hands and knees going up the last climb. Huge respect to everyone who finished (especially for those who finished sub 4 hours) and massive congrats to the legends who came home with the prizes - Chris, Ben , JD, Terry, Paul, savages all, what a huge haul for the club. Not sure I will be back next year but you I guess you never know !

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks lads, epic results ! Well done all who finished.It certainly was a tough one!
                      As we rode through the village, I looked back and it was some sight. The whole street was full of mtb'ers, it looked class(Johnny mcCabe pointed this out).
                      Really enjoyed the race , rode a steady pace and felt better this way, with no cramping getting over the turnstiles!
                      Brilliant results from the club and good to see and chat to all.

Comment

Great show from Epic and really great to see so many jerseys. Great start with perfect weather, turned quickly. I bailed before the last feed station as i hadn't trained enough to meet my timeline to get the train to Wexford. This is a great event, everyone should give it a go. Well done to all, really great results and super achievements, delighted to see so many club members at a truly great event, well done all.

Comment

really glad to have finished the cooley at last,one of the toughest spins ive done in a long time ,myself and ken appreciate being allowed wear the epic jersey despite the odd cameo appearance,well done the epic winners and also rest of the epic crew for the encouragement\support especially g hand for leading the way as the mist descended.

Comment

Originally posted by simon m View Post
                            really glad to have finished the cooley at last,one of the toughest spins ive done in a long time ,myself and ken appreciate being allowed wear the epic jersey despite the odd cameo appearance,well done the epic winners and also rest of the epic crew for the encouragement\support especially g hand for leading the way as the mist descended.
                            It wouldn’t be Epic without the Mulveys

Comment

Originally posted by simon m View Post
                              and also rest of the epic crew for the encouragement\support especially g hand for leading the way as the mist descended.
                              Yeap, like old times with the Mulveys on a spin!

Comment

Originally posted by Batster View Post
                                It wouldn’t be Epic without the Mulveys
                                How’s the Triathlon training going?

Comment

Working...
                                X