Royal Canal Greenways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Canal Greenways

Hey, has anyone any info or advice on cycling the Royal Canal or the Grand Canal Greenways? They're both on my bucket list this year and look like they'd be nice to do.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    The rider previously known as Stevo

Ah Jasus, 99% of the club is living in Dublin, surely someone has info on this!

Comment

Afraid not, my experience is limited to the section from town to Clondalkin on my commute. Colourful at times.

Comment

I haven't done much but I can tell you what I know:

Grand Canal: I have done this canal up from Dublin for 40-50k. Asphalt for a while and around 20-30 k from Dublin gravel. I had some problems with locals in the area between Rialto Dolphin burns. (glasses everywhere and they through us stones and empty cans).

Royal Canal: done up to Maynooth from Dublin. Asphalt til Clonsilla. Around Leixlip mainly narrow track on grass. And from there gravel to Maynooth.

All rideable.
        Last edited by Juan; 21-06-17, 07:53 AM.

Comment

so enduro

Like Expert Cycles on Facebook

Comment

You had me at asphalt..

Comment

http://www.irishtrails.ie/National_Waymarked_Trails/
              Steve noissues riding canals all well sign posted for when to change sides have being down most of the way on both if your looking to get both in one go a lot of people head down the grand up to the royal and back can be done in 2 long days or more enjoyable in 3 if you google grand canal way and royal canal way should get all thr info on routes and distance
              best book is tows paths of ireland has all the canal river tows paths in cluded pre dates green ways
              the most boring pieces are in and out of dublin then again may appeal to the rural types looking for a change of sceneory
              if they are on your list get riding soon as one of the joys is riding on the grass banks where the powers that be at moment believe this should all be removed and surfaced
              for me the best bits are where it heads out across long sections of bog land as the path is above the the surrounding land the sense of space with 360 degree panaramoic view and hugh sky are the most memorable
              Asto bike to ride any bike will do full sus just lock shock road bike fitt fat tyres for comfort personaly I found the cx bike perfct
              other issues bring food and drink plenty as getting feed is a bit of an issue between large centres
              if you have any pesific questions give me shout
              T
              Last edited by TerenceO; 21-06-17, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Nice one Terry, cheers for that!

Comment

I've done the Grand Canal twice, from Portobello to Shannon Harbour. The last time was last Novemeber, but I wouldn't recommend doing it that late in the year, the ground is too soft and it gets dark too early. It took almost two hours longer by going later in the year. There's not too much prep needed, but a few things to consider,
                  - The canal spits at Robertstown, you want to go right. Left is for the Barrow line.
                  - Roberstown is also one of the few places to stop for supplies.
                  - Decide what average speed you need to attain in order to make in on time and try to stick to it.
                  - No need for a full suss, hardtail is fine.
                  - There's some amazing scenery, but there's not much time to enjoy it, have to keep moving.

Here's the Strava from the last time,
                  https://www.strava.com/activities/765817399

Comment

Brilliant, nice to see it on strava, thanks Kieran! Anyone have the Royal Canal one on strava?

Comment

Thank you every body.

Comment

Grand Canal/Barrow Way

Did this in Feb, has some, grand canal fine until Rathangan, then connected to Barrow way, almost allcanal tow paths, very little tarmac overall, particularly on the Barrow. Did on CX bike with 35mm bobbly tyres. Took a while. Stopped in Athy for lunch. Be an interesting spin for a group on a fine Summers day, maybe with a couple of more stops. Or maybe a pick up organised somewhere, we did an air b&b in Graiguenanagh. Nice town.

https://www.strava.com/activities/86...S&v=1486980005

Comment

Originally posted by Kieran View Post
                          I've done the Grand Canal twice, from Portobello to Shannon Harbour. The last time was last Novemeber, but I wouldn't recommend doing it that late in the year, the ground is too soft and it gets dark too early. It took almost two hours longer by going later in the year. There's not too much prep needed, but a few things to consider,
                          - The canal spits at Robertstown, you want to go right. Left is for the Barrow line.
                          - Roberstown is also one of the few places to stop for supplies.
                          - Decide what average speed you need to attain in order to make in on time and try to stick to it.
                          - No need for a full suss, hardtail is fine.
                          - There's some amazing scenery, but there's not much time to enjoy it, have to keep moving.

Here's the Strava from the last time,
                          https://www.strava.com/activities/765817399
                          Right Kieran, I'm doing this one first, 51m of climbing, about 900m less than the handy saturday spin....ok, about 90k longer but I should survive! How far on is Robertstown? Sounds like there'll be no coffee stops, not happy with that!

Comment

I think Robertstown is about the 40km mark. It has a Centra, you'll be grand. The Village at Lyons has a coffee shop that opens on to the canal at lock 13, but I'm not sure what time it opens at. You can come off the canal at either Salins or Naas too.
                            When you get to the last lock, the last few hundred yards are on private property, an abandonded house, but it's worth following the canal to where it meets the shannon, beautiful spot.

Comment

Follow the short canal spur into Edendery has excellent coffe shops you will be well watered and fed

Comment

Working...
                              X