Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CuChulainn present: ‘Da Cooley Thriller’ 2009 !

1. Default CuChulainn present: ‘Da Cooley Thriller’ 2009 !

Yes its back, ‘Da Cooley Thriller’ is about to pedal off once more on Saturday 19th, September 2009. Set in the Cooley Mountains just outside Carlingford, Co. Louth the route, approx. 45kmm, will take riders on a complete traverse of the Cooley Mountains, taking in some of the Táin Trail and forest tracks to some roller coaster natural single trails once navigated by the bold Cuchulainn himself. Starting in the village with a mass start.
    Carlingford is very simple to find coming from North, South or West.
    Directions
    1. From the South & West
    Make your way to the M1, driving North and take exit 18 and following the directions
    fro the R173 to Carlingford. Once you get onto this road its roughly 18km to the turn
    for Carlingford at Millgrange, take the left run here and this will bring you into
    Carlingford Village.
    When you arrive at the village, pass the Four Seasons hotel on your left, and take the
    right immediately after this down to the Sailing Club which is down the end of this road
    on your left.
    2. From the North
    Make your way to Newry, following the signs for Dublin following the A2. When you get
    the centre of Newry, follow the signs for Omeath / Carlingford R173, you will take a left
    along the quay in front of the Quays shopping centre. Follow this road down, taking a
    left at the end, this brings you onto the R173, it’s a straight road from here to
    Carlingford
    When you arrive at the village, pass the Castle on your left, and take the left
    immediately before the Four Seasons Hotel, after this drive down to the Sailing Club
    which is down the end of this road on your left.
    3. Parking
    There is plenty of parking available in the Carlingford Sailing Club.
    Also, plenty of parking in Carlingford Village
    4. Registration
    Sign-on is at Carlingford Sailing Club and is open on Friday evening from 7pm –
    8pm and on Saturday morning from 8am – 9.00am
    You will need your Cycling Ireland licence for registration and if not you will need to
    pay the one day license fee (€15.00)
    IF YOU DO NOT BRING YOUR CI LICENCE YOU WILL HAVE PAY €15 FOR THE*ONE DAY LICENCE.
    5. XC ‘Thriller’ Event Timetable
    Friday 21st
    7pm – 8pm Race Registration/Sign-on
    Saturday 22nd
    8am Race Registration Opens
    9.00 am Registration closes
    9.40 am Race Briefing
    9.50 am All bikers to go to the start line in the village
    10:00 am Race Start (Very Sharp)
    There is one mass start only.
    2pm onwards finish at King John’s Castle, Carlingford
    3.30 pm Food, and Prize Giving at the sailing Club (when final finisher arrives – respect !!)
    Showers available at the sailing club.
    6. Course Map
    The GPS map of the course will be available as a google map on our race page www.dundalkcycling.com in the coming weeks
    Long Course 45k approx. (11k on surfaced road)
    Short/Sport Course 21k (7k on surfaced road)
    We are using a single lap once again this year, the full course is approx. 45km long at this stage and should be pretty fast flowing. They will be a shorter option (17k) for those riders that just want to take part but feel the 45k loop a wee bit too long.
    The race itself peddles off at 10am with all riders starting in a mass start. Once around the Church in Carlingford there will be no bottle necks as it is a long forest fire track to start with.
    Along the way you’ll peddle on/up/over/down/through/across and along The Táin Trail, The Devil’s Elbow, Black Run, Roller Coaster, Quad Tracks, Ray’s Loop (do it this time folks !!) Castles, Aidans Canyon, Skull Alley, CLEC Route, Goylin Pass, Black Ski Run, Convent Lane, the Crown awaits……………..Home Sweet Home !!!!

More...

Hmm .... what's the story with this one? Hard, Very hard or Too ****ing Hard? Anyone planning to go up? Might be a bit of craic ..... or not?

well I did the 27k one with Carol last year and that was great, I have done the long one before but like everybody else thats done these, the course marking is nearly always crap and the amount of Tarmac Climbing will kill you..it is brilliant on a good day ..I'll be at it and I've no problem roaming around with you Rich if you like..I know where I'm going which is a huge bonus.
    Richie

This is the day before are club champs, so ill guess the CC will be moving?

i'll give it ago as well should be fun

Feck roaming!!! thats not the epicurian way. I will race it with any one who is man or woman enough and there is lots of ye!! Curly mght make this or maybe he will be perming his hair again, anyhoo I'm up for it winter training and all!!

6. Default

These curls don't come easy ya know, it takes time to get this much curl in them!!! About seven months in fact!!!

Update: Here is the the GPS route of the course:
    http://connect.garmin.com/player/12618682

jackson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smithers View Post
    Feck roaming!!! thats not the epicurian way. I will race it with any one who is man or woman enough and there is lots of ye!! Curly mght make this or maybe he will be perming his hair again, anyhoo I'm up for it winter training and all!!
    ok

Dinner mashers

after the sheephead marathon in cork i hope this one will have better views and dryer trails. Looks good I will go up . Anyone want to share the drive.