Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: hi to all...and a few questions to start

opentarget Guest

Default hi to all...and a few questions to start

Hi everyone,
    New to the forum and new (so new i havnt started) to mountain biking.
    i have a folder that i use to cycle around the city but even going down a curb feels like the bike will come apart on me, i really enjoy cycling but flying around the city is hardly what i call fun so i really want to get into mountain biking!
    i want to do something thats good for me and fun at the same time. i used to skate when i was younger and am sorely missing the buzz and fun i used to get from it.
    im a bit unfit but not close to death or anything so i recon i can build up stamina as i go.
    im looking to buy a decent beginners bike if anyone can recommend one(my budget is not massive...5 to 600 maybe? id be willing to stretch if it was worth it), and then maybe head out on some light beginner cycles if anyone can point me in the right direction?

much appreciated!
    Last edited by opentarget; 27-10-08 at 01:57 PM.

Hello ,
    EPICmtb don't do complete beginner spins at the moment, i'm afraid..if I can find somebody to take on complete beginners for 4 weeks then we will..MAD (www.madmtb.com) do regular beginner spins.
    Cheers Richie

sloth Guest

Just spend the 5 to 600 on a hardtail with a decent suspension fork, you get what you pay for and it will be fine. Buzz around on it on your own getting used to it then, go and do a beginner spin. oh yeah, just make sure the shop sells you a bike thats not too big mostly beginners buy bikes too big for them.

opentarget Guest

thanks for the replys.
    ill do my research before i head to the shop to purchase and go for a spin on a few before i make a decision.
    i should be picking up a bike some time next month(after the rent and bills get sorted that is) so i have time to hassle the guys in the various shops around town. thanks again

SHAM Guest

A lot of the good bike stores around Dublin will have testbikes which you can get your hands on to try out. Definitely worth trying as many as possible prior to the big spend.

opentarget Guest

its thursday and that = late night shopping! im going to go around and sus out a few bikes this evening looking for a decent hardtail around 700(my budget went up slightly). just wondered if it would be better to look in the XC or all mountain categories? i want a bike that will take a bit of a bashing and that i can upgrade as i go, this bike will be with me for a good few years so i want something that will last me. my understanding is that xc are lighter than AM bikes but less burley as a result? am i totally off base? i guess i want it for offroad and maybe some small jumps and what not, but i defo want to have a bike that will alow me to do bigger things if i ever decide to do so.

you'll be looking for an " Entry level" Mtb..something solid , but equipped well enough for Sports XC racing and spins..it'll be burly enough..
    you don't need an All Mountain bike and you won't get one for that price anyway.
    Earn your stripes on a GT, lapierre ,Merida or a Giant and you won't go wrong..
    don't worry about jumping for a long, long time..

Pete Guest

It's a good time to get deals on 08 bikes, remember the 09 ranges are just in so if you're buying an 08 model make sure you're getting a discount

opentarget Guest

thanks for clearing it up.

21 Main Street, Rathfarnham Village, D.14

anyone that knows its late night shopping on a thursday is not going to make it as a mountainbiker.
    just get yourself i nice dress instead love!