Thread: Cross of Kells - Part 2

Default Cross of Kells - Part 2

A good day out for the club. Lots of people racing across a range of categories. The course was substantially changed following on from last week. Basically, they ran the course in reverse which took out forest descent. This had a number of advantages but basically the faster sections allowed the wheels to clear out.

Brendan led the way with a good race in the U16s and a 3rd place finish - well done.

My own race went a lot better than the week before - basically I was racing rather than slogging around. Having Mick in the pits cleaning the muck off the bike was great and allowed me to keep going. John and Paul were flying with John, once again, climbing the podium as the fastest M50.

With the A race run it was Donough's, Gareth's and Keith's, Terry's, Mick's, turn on an increasingly sticky course. With a crack (craic?) crew in the pits led by Tara, what could go wrong? Well, other than not seeing Donough approaching on the other side of the pit (sorry) and me washing the wrong bike (your are welcome Paul!). Paul was multi-tasking holding Isla in one arm and swapping bikes in the other. Tara was giving Paul tips on how do a bike change (apparently you should not throw your bike at your wife) and Richard C was rightly amazed that between the lot of us, we managed to get any bikes back to the lads... but we did and Mick and Terry came in to grace the podium again. All in all, a good day out.

Kilternan next week so not far to travel for most of us.

See ye there...

Well the washing is done the clothes are on the line the shoes scrubbed bikes washed drying in the sun

So how was the racing ?
    Another super day in Drewstown house course run in reverse this week with some changes here and there only one section of about 10 m to walk/run. Who would have thought after another weeks rain that the course would be less mucky and more rideable. Well the surprise was it was more rideable and less mucky this week did not see people walking around with broken rear mech or maybe more people came prepared with second bikes and sticks to poke out the mud.

First Epic riders out on the day where Brendan third again this week also Natalie 10th in the women’s race with Chris doing the pits ,Next out was the men’s A race with John 1st over 50 7th with Paul 10th and Dave 20th in the B race Micko 3th great racing hard earned, Emmet 4th pushing Micko all the way to the line definitely the performance of the day this was Emmet’s third cx race had being in Tymon ,Dnf last week due to the mud when running around 3th 4th position now this week came in 4th congrats on result also in the B race myself 12th Donough19th Keith 36th

As to my race bit of fashion crisis had gone out on the road for a spin arrived back just in time for the start and forgot to take off the trousers have being getting abused by the fashion police since. Otherwise rode at the absolute max at all times need to work on getting off the start line faster then would not need to play so much catch up

So roll on next week in Kilteran for more fun and games have to go and check on the washing now

T

Results
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1846637337
    Last edited by TerenceO; 11-11-19 at 12:20 PM.

A good day out for the club. Lots of people racing across a range of categories. The course was substantially changed following on from last week. Basically, they ran the course in reverse which took out forest descent. This had a number of advantages but basically the faster sections allowed the wheels to clear out.

Brendan led the way with a good race in the U16s and a 3rd place finish - well done.

My own race went a lot better than the week before - basically I was racing rather than slogging around. Having Mick in the pits cleaning the muck off the bike was great and allowed me to keep going. John and Paul were flying with John, once again, climbing the podium as the fastest M50.

With the A race run it was Emmet's, Donough's, Keith's, Terry's, and Mick's, turn on an increasingly sticky course. With a crack (craic?) crew in the pits led by Tara, what could go wrong? Well, other than not seeing Donough approaching on the other side of the pit (sorry) and me washing the wrong bike (your are welcome Paul!). Paul was multi-tasking holding Isla in one arm and swapping bikes in the other. Tara was giving Paul tips on how do a bike change (apparently you should not throw your bike at your wife) and Richard C was rightly amazed that between the lot of us, we managed to get any bikes back to the lads... but we did and Mick and Terry came in to grace the podium again with Emmet just off the podium in 4th place. All in all, a good day out.

Kilternan next week so not far to travel for most of us.

See ye there...

Default Cross of Kells - Part 2

You were probably the warmest rider out there Terry. No more slagging about baggies now!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Pics are from Sean Rowe at https://m.facebook.com/theleinsterleagueofcyclocross/
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Well done to all the podiums (and almost podiums.)
    Last edited by keith; 15-11-19 at 09:41 PM.

Yeah another great day of cx racing. Having the A race first messed with the head a bit but it was great fun in the pits trying to keep the clean(ish) bikes rolling for Paul, John and Dave. Paul's Tara was directing the show running off to get the bikes washed as the baby slept ! Think we did ok only missed one bike change (sorry John ) but it was a bit of a scramble at times. Then the roles were reversed for the b race with the lads helping me and terry out in the b race.

Good results all round , the lads were flying in the A race with JD dominating the M50s again.

And Emmet had another great race getting 4th in the bs and keeping me under pressure the whole race.

Next week Kilternan. Maybe see a few more club members for that one ?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

6. Default

Well done guys and Natalie! These reports would almost make me want to race cx again

7. Default Cross of Kells - Part 2

Great racing again in Drewstown. A little less sloggier than last week but still extremely tough. Last week looked to have frightened off a few racers judging by the gridding. We really had the pits down to a fine art and itís brilliant having club mates there to help eachother which can make or break a race. My super wife showed her multitasking skills once again and I apologised to her for trying to kill her on my 3rd change. [emoji23]

I got a good gridding this week but soon found I couldnít run with the pace of the top lads for too long and had to ease off. Had a great race mid pack and felt good throughout. Gave all I could and won a few battles. Canít beat a bita racing.

John of course is still flying and had a hard job keeping him in sight. Great to have the two of us in the top 10 repping the club. Great watching our lads in the B race and encouraging them to dig in.

Thanks to all the helpers and to Dave for taking the heavy dirt off my bike. [emoji85] Hope to have the same laugh next week #crossisboss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Default

Very enjoyable racing in Oldcastle, seemed to be a little less mud than last week! Didn't expect CX to be such good craic!The sight of Mick just ahead kept me going the last couple of laps and helped holding off the riders behind me. Great to have support on the sidelines and epic riders in the race. I'll make sure to help out with bike washing at the next one.
    Last edited by Emmet87; 11-11-19 at 09:22 PM.

9. Default

Well, I felt like a pro! A big thanks to Donough, Mick and Tara for looking after us.I would have been happy with one bike change, but to have a fresh bike each lap was incredible It made a big difference and more enjoyable, it was like getting a shot of adrenaline . Great turnout from the club and well done everyone in those difficult conditions.

Great day out in Kells, first time there, great fun course. Good mix of terrain and challenges. Helped in pits for A race, very happy to have been of some assistance to the crack team. I still have my old bike and dropped it hopefully in the pits before A race, rode 4 laps before getting it, dropped dirty bike in hope that pit elves would Oblige and boy did they, headed out on last lap on clean bike, many thanks Dave Meredith!! No crashes, no mechanicals, no heart attacks.... all good. CX is the business. Well done to all who raced and of course to those who were in the money.