Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Girona MTB Challenge

Default Girona MTB Challenge

So today was the first day of 3 days racing in Girona Spain.
    John Dorris , Colm McGarvey, Paul Caldwell and myself have travelled over for this 3 day stage race,
    Today's stage was 53km 1300mt.
    We lined up for a 10am start in glorious sunshine and a temp of around 18 deg,
    As always the start was pretty fast with a semi controlled neutral car taking us through the streets of Girona, the lads managed to get a near enough front row start , my self was about mid pack so had to pick my way through a lot of traffic. But that didn't take to long.
    There was a good 8km to 10km road section before we got the the single track by which time the field had spread out pretty nicely and I was able to settle in to the single track , and my God was it amazing it just went on and on for km after km , most of the climbs were short kickers but the descents were fantastic. It was so dry and dusty it took a bit of getting used to after 5 months of rain and snow back home.

I managed to get into a group of about 10 riders all of which were Spanish and knew the trails so I just followed , It was fine in the forests but out in the open the sun was scorching and you were glad to be back in the trees and on the flowing single track,it was a delight to ride, no major issues. Missed one flag and had to do a quick turn around. By the 40km mark I stopped again for water and lost the group I was in but I needed water and with tomorrows 83km 1700mt , I was trying to be mind full of the days ahead and I only lost 2 or 3 places anyway,

I finished in a group of 3 so happy to make it round in one piece,
    Course was very well marked out lots of Marshall's and a few supporters out watching too.
    Tough day but and felt shattered coming across the line. But a few oranges, a can of coke and some cake, and I was feeling good again ,
    I'm sure the lads will write a little them selves about how they got on.

Results were
    John Dorris P46 time of 2:39:18
    Colm McGarvey P49. 2:39:25
    Paul Caldwell P70. 2:44:03
    Ben Breach P87. 2:47:53

John also got a podium spot of 2nd in M50
    Well done John
    And well done all ,

Tomorrow is pretty much the same 83km 1700mt , and your gridded where you finished today.
    Looking forward to more single track. ( I think. )
    Who am I kidding of course we are 😏😏

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    ----------------------
    kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

What a day

----------------------
    kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Excellent. Well done each one of you. Freakin awesome

4. Default

Looks deadly, well done all, and John on the podium whoop whoop!

Well done guys! Load of you there, how did Quinlan get on?

Awesome

7. Default

Massive well done to John Doris coming first in his category! SAVAGE!

Good man Doris and all the Irish crew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So day 2 was a 83km 1900mt climbing,
    All I'll say is that it was a dark day for most people,
    I was feeling good at the start and going well up to 40km then all of a sudden boom nothing , head went , legs went , it got so hot , and the climbs just went on and on and on and on and then on some more.

Had to stop at the 2nd feed station for about 5mins to try and cool down, got going again but it was slow and pain full.

Got to the 3rd feed station at 60km and stopped again , probably 10mins this time had some food and drink slowly sat on the tail gate of a water lorry,
    The staff there were really helpful and supportive though and off I went, after a few minutes started to come round and got back into a rhythm till the end , never been so happy to see a finish line in my life , stage 2 done,
    Recovery time and food straight to bed

5hrs 10mins with an average heart rate of 156 beats in 23 deg sunshine.

Came across the line 105th on the day which put me around 120th over all,

With day 3 to come

Last edited by Bootss; 25-03-19 at 05:20 PM.
    ----------------------
    kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Day 2 pics

----------------------
    kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk