Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Royal Canal Greenways

Have a lift up to The Red Cow Hotel so plan to cycle back into town, where do the tow paths start, Portobello? Or do I spin to Grand Canal dock which is the very, very start?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    The rider previously known as Stevo

2. Default

Alrite Stevo, I did part of this last summer on the cx bike which was perfect for it. I started in Ringsend and took the canal all the way to Sallins and then back to Ringsend the same way. It was a great spin.
    As far as i remember its tarmac from Grand Canal dock all the way until past Lucan although quite a few gates to cross though until you get that far. It was mostly grassy canal bank from then on.
    Enjoy!

The grand canal cycle is an amazing day out on the bike. If you have the time, I'd try and do all the Dublin bits. It makes a nice contrast to the peace and quiet of the bog. Get your selfie at the "Grand Anal C*cks" big sign in town. If you're going end to end, Shannon Harbour is the middle of nowhere. It's not a town, I don't remember even a shop. Would you consider going the other direction, figure out an early lift to Offaly

Quote Originally Posted by ronankearneyle View Post
    If you're going end to end, Shannon Harbour is the middle of nowhere. It's not a town, I don't remember even a shop.
    Iíve heard thereís McIntryeís pub & grocery, and loads of people living in barges. Nowt else.

Cheers lads, going to go to Grand canal dock and start from there. Is there tow paths from there or are the a little further on?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Enduro View Post
    Cheers lads, going to go to Grand canal dock and start from there. Is there tow paths from there or are the a little further on?
    Yep, cycle path all the way. Youíve streets to cross, but itís mostly segregated from car traffic. You country folk donít get up to the big smoke much.

Grand canal done and dusted on Friday! Started in Loughlinstown, cycled into grand canal dock, had a look at the Liffey and on I went. City bit was nice cos it was really early, very little hustle and bustle, out to the beautiful Ballyfermot, hit with a headwind that i had to fight with for the day, before I knew it was having coffee at Cliff at Lyons, then onto Hazelhatch. After that it just got monotonous, another lock, another bridge, 20/30k sections of long grass to plough through. Very little life on the river, only met two barges. Bog bits were nice but tow paths were rough with long grass, got to Shannon Harbour at 3 o'clock for a well deserved pint and the pub was shut! So overall, a 150km spin with 400 mtrs of climbing, some wonderful parts and views but too repetitive for me, the headwind for the day way annoying, glad to do it and glad when it was over!

Wow, 3pm .. thatís some going! 400m climbing in 150km - thatís a bit different to your usual spins alright. Well done.

Steveo it sounds like a stage of the Tour de France ����

10. Default

Nice one Steve, fair play to you, that's a good spin!
    Its on my list to do...sometime!