Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Royal Canal Greenways

nxzx Guest

Thank you every body.

Default Grand Canal/Barrow Way

Did this in Feb, has some, grand canal fine until Rathangan, then connected to Barrow way, almost allcanal tow paths, very little tarmac overall, particularly on the Barrow. Did on CX bike with 35mm bobbly tyres. Took a while. Stopped in Athy for lunch. Be an interesting spin for a group on a fine Summers day, maybe with a couple of more stops. Or maybe a pick up organised somewhere, we did an air b&b in Graiguenanagh. Nice town.

https://www.strava.com/activities/86...S&v=1486980005

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    I've done the Grand Canal twice, from Portobello to Shannon Harbour. The last time was last Novemeber, but I wouldn't recommend doing it that late in the year, the ground is too soft and it gets dark too early. It took almost two hours longer by going later in the year. There's not too much prep needed, but a few things to consider,
    - The canal spits at Robertstown, you want to go right. Left is for the Barrow line.
    - Roberstown is also one of the few places to stop for supplies.
    - Decide what average speed you need to attain in order to make in on time and try to stick to it.
    - No need for a full suss, hardtail is fine.
    - There's some amazing scenery, but there's not much time to enjoy it, have to keep moving.

Here's the Strava from the last time,
    https://www.strava.com/activities/765817399
    Right Kieran, I'm doing this one first, 51m of climbing, about 900m less than the handy saturday spin....ok, about 90k longer but I should survive! How far on is Robertstown? Sounds like there'll be no coffee stops, not happy with that!
    The rider previously known as Stevo

4. Default

I think Robertstown is about the 40km mark. It has a Centra, you'll be grand. The Village at Lyons has a coffee shop that opens on to the canal at lock 13, but I'm not sure what time it opens at. You can come off the canal at either Salins or Naas too.
    When you get to the last lock, the last few hundred yards are on private property, an abandonded house, but it's worth following the canal to where it meets the shannon, beautiful spot.

5. Default

Follow the short canal spur into Edendery has excellent coffe shops you will be well watered and fed

I'm doing the royal tomorrow (wed 06-sep) starting Dublin with a couple of friends. Not sure how far we're going. Leisurely pace, all day, starting phibsboro 815am.

This Saturday, I'm planning to do the grand from Shannon Harbour back to Dublin. Solo mission. Anyone at a loose end can jump on either of these

Quote Originally Posted by ronankearneyle View Post
    I'm doing the royal tomorrow (wed 06-sep) starting Dublin with a couple of friends. Not sure how far we're going. Leisurely pace, all day, starting phibsboro 815am.
    This Saturday, I'm planning to do the grand from Shannon Harbour back to Dublin. Solo mission. Anyone at a loose end can jump on either of these
    Cool! Not sure if you are friends on FB with Ronan "Hoppo" Hopkins, he's currently doing a trip from Grand canal docks to the Shannon, looks like a great adventure!

Good time of the year for this, I'll do one of them in the next few weeks.
    The rider previously known as Stevo