Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mc Garvey at the BC Bike Race

1. Default

Thanks to everyone for all the support and encouragement. it was great to get a few friendly words from back home so thanks all.
    Apologies that I didnt get to do an update every day as it was a hectic schedule, always on the move every day, with a ferry or bus to catch and luggage & hotels & bike to find!
    It was an amazing experience! I would highly recommend this race to anyone who mountain bikes. We had 7 stages on 7 consecutive days, moving to a new town each day. The locations were beautiful, always close to the sea and to unreal mountains. Everyone was so friendly and helpful, I couldnt believe the support on the course every day, you would turn a corner in the middle of the forest and find a crowd in fancy dress, a 4 piece band or a a silent roar, unreal stuff. Logistics were managed really professionally, moving 600 riders and their bikes & gear to a new location each day in massive trucks and all done with a friendly smile. The trails are just amazing and without a doubt the best that I have ever ridden, sweet singletrack for 95% of the way with the very odd fireroad climb or road section. At times it was more like an enduro marathon than an XC marathon and I definitely could have done with more travel on the forks at times to get me out of trouble. They had amazing north shore features all through the forests, over rivers and waterfalls, even through a rainforest and with so many rock slabs, roots and jumps to keep you honest! I had trained hard for this race and went to challenge for the masters race. It took me two stages to get used to the conditions and to the speed of the top riders. I was well placed after day 2 finishing 4th master and 15th overall but unfortunately suffered a broken rear rim on day 3 after 29km of a 58km stage. I managed to get a tube in and taped the tyre and rim together, set off with a v wobbly wheel at v low speed to the next aid station 12 km away where Shimano kindly took my bike and gave me a replacement to finish the stage. I lost over an hour on this stage due to my wheel and so was unfortunately out of GC contention. Day 4 was a 52km stage and I was determined to finish in the top 3. There was an amazing 10k downhill section to the finish at the ferry terminal in Langdale and I was happy to finish 3rd Master and 14th overall. Day 5 was a v technical stage on the north shore trails of Mount Seymour in North Vancouver. It was basically a v rocky enduro stage with some steep switch back climbs, I took it easy to avoid any crashes and save the legs for the last two big days. Day 6 was my fav stage, 52km with 2,000m climbing all set in the beautiful mountains around Squamish. This was an amazing course with really tough climbs and the best sweeping downhill berms Ive ridden. Happy to finish 3rd Master and 14th overall, pushed all the way by Udo Bolts an ex German pro who has completed 12 consecutive Tour de France, helping both Bjarne Riis & Jan Ullrich to victories! Day 7 the final stage, started & finished in Whistler with 26km of really technical climbs & singletrack. I started with all the pros and raced all day with Andreas Hestler & Eric Tourville, pushed really hard to finish 2nd master. It was a great feeling to cross the finish line at beautiful Alta lake having completed 7 amazing stages and met so many great people along the way. All in all this was an amazing experience and I enjoyed every minute of it. I eventually finished in 11th place in Masters on GC, the time I lost on day 3 cost me 2nd place overall so can take heart from that & something to race for the next time!! I was delighted to get 3 podiums during the week. It was great to have Aine McKenna, an ex epic mtb'er, on hand at the finish everyday. Aine was managing the bike wash every day and made sure to really look after the Irish so big thanks to Aine. Robert rode really well every day and finished very strong in his category so big congrats to him. Other Irish mountain bikers were Jonathan Evans from IMBRC, Paula Keohan and Philip McNamara who all finished the race and were great craic all week. Now for the next challenge...

2. Default

Amazing results Colm (I remember watching those pros in the big road races). I catch up with you soon for a chat.

21 Main Street, Rathfarnham Village, D.14

Sounds the business Colm I'm very jealous as this is a race that is top of my bucket lost
    Well done on results pity about the mechanical still an amazing result

Sounds incredible Colm, well done. This has been an event I have longed to do for ages, 2018 is my tentative plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Default

Sounds amazing. Well done colm
    Less Traction = More Action

WOW! great write up, incredible result!

Jaysus , fair fooks man. Congratulations what an achievement.

8. Default

Great report and even better results some going fair play to you. Pity about the rim.

Sounds fantastic Colm - how technical is the terrain?

Nice one colm. Nothing beats a bit of rimming on holidays.

www.terrymcdonagh.com