Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NPS 5 Killarney

noeldoc Guest

Default NPS 5 Killarney

MTB XC NPS Round 5 : Fossa, Killarney, June 10th

EVENT INFORMATION

Housed in an 18th century mansion Killarney International Hostel is a very impressive one indeed! An Oige have been very supportive of the Killarney Cycling Club and allowed us to develop a technical MTB XC race track on their grounds set on 75 acres of gardens and forest overlooking the mountains surrounding Killarney National Park

An Oige Killarney International Hostel, Fossa, Killarney. Co-ordinates 52.072536,-9.576924

Accommodation
    Great value accommodation is available in the Hostel right on the race venue. Call +353 (64) 6631240.
    Please support them. www.killarneyinternationalhostel.com‎

The nearby Travel Inn Killarney**** just 100m from the venue Co-ordinates 52.070647,-9.573802
    and are providing additional parking facilities for race day. They are offering a special accommodation rates for the event from starting from 35 pps B&B .
    Call them on Tel: +353 (64) 66 23600 http://www.travelinn.ie/

For Camping/Campervan accomadition Check out http://www.fossacampingkillarney.com/ which is just around the corner from the venue.

There is a popular Pub/Resturant called the Golden Nugget just 100m down the road serving great food.

Limited parking will be available at the venue. Additional parking will be available at the Travel Inn 100m away.
    Killarney Town will be hitting peak tourist season in June so PLEASE, if you are planning on an overnight stay, BOOK NOW!!.Weekends book out pretty quickly
    There is a dedicated web page to follow soon inc. a preview video of the course
    MORE INFORMATION ON THE RACE TO FOLLOW
    Hope to see you all there

Was thinking of going, though if I am i'd prefer to take my time to get there on the Saturday early evening and possibly stay here: http://reservations.bookhostels.com/...VJjipmq4wL5ede

barry_kellett99 Guest

Will it be worth a 6hour drive from up north?!
    Tracton was worth the spin but I'm not sure on this one

For a start it won't be motorway door to door.

Their was a good few lads who travelled up from Killarney to Belfast, so I think it's good to support other clubs races as much as possible.... though I would be interested in seeing video of the course

barry_kellett99 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GH90'sMTB'er View Post
    Their was a good few lads who travelled up from Killarney to Belfast, so I think it's good to support other clubs races as much as possible.... though I would be interested in seeing video of the course
    Couldn't agree more, though they majority of them are sand bagging in s4!
    I haven't raced over that way ever but heard a few horror stories from a couple of previous efforts?

Though im pretty sure I seen a video of the course being used for this race from one of their provincial leeague dates and it looked pretty good to me.

Fair dues to those guys doing the travelling as they have to do it for most rounds.

i can assure you that if , nobody goes it will be a disaster and they will very likely never run one again..they need to promote the bejaysus out of it , directions to it, accomadation, a video, some testimonials from people who were at the Munster league race..some serious feedback from the organisers ..are you reading this Killarney people ?
    The previous rounds in Killarney were a mixed bag,the last race was crap but the one the previous year was brilliant I thought , I couldn't fault it. As Max says though, you need to go down on Saturday or you wont be competitive.
    I have to say I think its fair to back Killarney, John Crowley goes to every race and never complains.
    But them boys need to really convince people to go !
    Look at it this way and I will be brutally honest..if the riders from Cork and Kerry didn't go to the Races on this side they would not be missed, there numbers are so few.
    But if the riders from the East Coast don't go to Cork or Kerry then its a disaster, unfortunately we have the numbers. 78 riders from EPIC rode in the Goldrush alone.

noeldoc Guest

Hi everyone ,Noel here from Killarney.Will be keeping an eye on the forums over the next 2 weeks and will try to answer all questions.The club has put a huge effort into the NPS this year,we developed a dedicated racing squad over the last few months who train 3times weekly and have all given a comitement to complete the required 4 races . so we have had a decent precesence at all races so far , 11 of us traveled to belfast.We have learnt a lot from travelling to races over the past few years and have built a new club course specifically "XCO" race style on the grounds of An Oige"s Hostel just outside the Town.The course is 4.5km, 900m in the field where the start/finish is located and the remainder in the woods,consisting of a mix of single and double track, no fireroads.Whats it like to ride?Underfoot, a bit like Lady Dixion but more technical and a lot tighter,there is no massive climbs or decents,it constantly changing around each corner, and you are constantly working,there is no respite on this track.I am no racehead myself but have ridden practically all the NPS/nationals courses in the country and this course will stack up against any of them, infact its probally the best of them.We were asked for an "XCO" style course with the Start/Finish in a field and we are delivering but if you guys dont travel its been a waste of a lot of hard work and energy.The sun will be shining and Killarney, as always will be looking beautiful.Load up the wife and Kids and bring them too.
    A video/headcam of the course has just been completed ansd should be available tomorrow eve.
    Please support our sponsors when booking accomadition.
    http://forum.epicmtb.com/showthread....PS-5-Killarney
    Last edited by noeldoc; 29-05-12 at 01:10 AM.

thanks Noel..I would start a new thread with all the info and coax people to go, Barry , its your job to round up all the Northern Clubs and Graham and Andy need to coax/goad the Dublin clubs to go..

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Byrner View Post
    some testimonials from people who were at the Munster league race.
    I did the Munster XC race there in March, so here's my 2 cents. I think the only other 'northern hemisphere' riders that day were Gene Ryan from MAD and John Grifferty from Boyne so they may have some comments..

I thought the course was great. Noel's comments above are accurate, I also would describe it as a more technical version of Lady Dixon. Start is in a big field, bit like a big version of the Bellurgan start. Sharp corners and a few rises in the field. Good to see where the opposition is. Then into the singletrack, fast and flowing with some tricky little downs and sharp ups. Some nice little switchback descents and short sharp climbs. This is a fast course and will in my view reward a good technical rider. That is because whilst there are no big scary drops or anything like that it is very twisty and turny requiring you to keep your speed.

Conditions on the day in March were quite damp and the course held up well. I understand that the lads have extended it a bit since then. In this weather it will be a joy to ride.

Unfortunately I can't make it myself but I would certainly encourage people to go, you wont be disappointed.

David Furlong
    www.racing795.com
    Last edited by Boom; 29-05-12 at 07:55 AM. Reason: added info

orange Guest

i was @ the munster league race its a very good trail and well worth the trip down ,the course is flowy no mad climbs one tough kicker climb nice tight singletrack plenty of twists and turns 90% of the trail is in the woods... its as good as any of the 3 nps course used this year welldone killarney cc a big big effort has been put into the trails so get down and race lads you wont be sorry , john grifferty
    Last edited by orange; 29-05-12 at 08:18 AM.