Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Mountain Bike Championships

manuel6b Guest

:D

Come on people, if Germany wins the next war or Polish workers take over Ireland we'll remember about you! :)
    The man who's name you'd love to touch

The problem is that those riders can effect the outcome of the race. (Which is why the rules changed since Liam was over and almost all Nationals around the world are on the same day). In DH, it is hard for one rider to effect another riders race.

Say for instance - there were three riders in the race, A, B and C. C is not Irish. The race starts and they enter the singletrack in the order A, C and B. C is a fast starter but can't ride a bike in technical terrain and lets a gap open between A and B... C has effected the outcome of the race... If C was Irish - well, that is just racing...

Having said all that, I too would love to see Mel and Cait fight it out.

When I was in the UK for their marathon champs a couple of years ago, they started the non British riders 2 minutes behind the championship riders to stop this. (In an XC race they wouldn't allow it - just the marathons tend to have huge climbs and lots of passing opportunities for the first 5km so things are roughly in order)

The rules are the rules - and they do make sense. It is the National Championships after all.

well - the rules are the rules - but they are the road rules Ryan, XC does not have definitive rules when it comes to National Champs re; exclusions etc..
    This is something that definitely does need fixing before the next champs

The aspect about non-nationality riders having an effect on the race - being realistic - I think this doesn't really have much of an effect, if you can't get past a slower rider in singletrack then you're probably not going to have the skills to win a medal - besides - riders are gridded for Nat Champs which would put most IRL riders on the start grid.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dethshed View Post
    well - the rules are the rules - but they are the road rules Ryan, XC does not have definitive rules when it comes to National Champs re; exclusions etc..
    This is something that definitely does need fixing before the next champs
    Does this mean it could still be an open champs?

Quote Originally Posted by Dethshed View Post
    The aspect about non-nationality riders having an effect on the race - being realistic - I think this doesn't really have much of an effect, if you can't get past a slower rider in singletrack then you're probably not going to have the skills to win a medal - besides - riders are gridded for Nat Champs which would put most IRL riders on the start grid.
    Maybe not in men's, but in women's.....

Also, its not like Mel and myself are someone you don't know, you all know our strengths and weaknesses. We know all of you as well. If I know there's a faster rider behind me I let them through no problem.

I do understand if you stick to the rules but it would be nice if you bent them a little :)
    You're only going to avoid the inevitable anyway, Mel will have an IRL licence from Jan 2012 and I'll do my best to get one asap too.
    The man who's name you'd love to touch

fitwit3 Guest

I agree with Ryan, I think its is possible that in a close race situation a non-Irish rider could affect the race outcome (especially likely in the women's at the moment!). It depends what the priority of having a national champs is I guess.

Then again I'm all for increasing the numbers and making racing more competitive/exciting so racing Mel would be great. It'll happen next year anyway

If you don't stick to the rules, there's no point in having them in the first place.

But, I will try get the question clearly answered as to whether non IRL licence holders can COMPETE in the race, it's definitely the case that you cannot win a medal on a non-IRL licence.

I also need to confirm that GBR/British licences issued by the national federation (ie; Cycling Ireland) are eligible for Irish champs medals, I'm pretty sure they are - but I need to be sure.
    Conversely - I believe GBR/British licences issued by a different national federation (eg; British Cycling) are not eligible for Irish champs medals.

I think we have to look at what happens leading up to the Nationals, in Maxs case, he has been racing all year in Ireland and nowhere else, in the same category as the the Natural Irish, rules should be managed if they have a positive effect.
    Excluding him from Elites because of a "rule" is mean spirited in my opinion, your observation, Ryan , that having the rule prevents riders affecting the race, is fair , but unjustified in this case, we are talking about Max and Mel, in my opinion, they are much a part of the Irish Mountainbiking scene as I am, they should be given a loophole , to race in the Nationals.
    Put it this way Ryan and this is not meant to be offensive at all, he has contributed more to this XC season in Ireland than you, you defected to the road, in my opinion thats a heinous act ( i still like you ,though) if I wrote the rule book, you would be excluded from the Nationals.
    But I'm not in charge and I think they deserve a race.
    Seriously, wheres the harm, a race between Cait and Mel alone would be worth it. It would be extremely disapointing to see them watching from the sidelines.
    Get your hands up votes or email the organisers and let Mel and Max race Elites like they deserve.
    Richie

Time to put on my commissionary hat:
    Let's be clear here, there will be no loopholes or rules-bending unless officially ratified and sanctioned by CI, with appropriate new rules or exceptions created and agreed.

Any proposals for rules changes need to be submitted via motions at the appropriate AGMs.