Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: coillte being sold off to the swiss!!

Billybobs Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    I'm sorry, but you're a being a bit misleading with that comment. The government tender is for the valuation of Coillte, not the purchase of Coillte. There is quite a large difference between the two...
    Your right my bad. I'm a bit horse before the cart on that one.

Also I'm pretty sure I'm totally wrong about this but perhaps you might know, could the "valuation tender" be the same thing as the "independent assessment prior to purchase" as mentioned by Helvetia Wealth's press release about Bertie coming on board

"All lands and forestry will be subjected to strict independent assessment prior to purchase; this external monitoring will remain in place throughout the Fund’s ownership of its forestry and land."

http://www.helvetia-wealth.com/files...ins_IFF(1).pdf

Last edited by Billybobs; 25-02-11 at 12:54 AM.

DaveS Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rdhma View Post
    The forests are now owned by a private limited company, whose current shareholder just happens to be the government...
    It's not a private company in the eyes of a European Court ruling. It's really state owned in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Happy_Fairy View Post
    ...unless polls are completely mad we will have a FG / Labour coalition by the end of tomorrow. If thatís the case the started policy from them that the will retain Coillte and merge it with Board na Mona.
    It will probably be FG/Labour alright, but only time will tell if they'll keep their promises.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Happy_Fairy View Post
    If they are just lying and sell it anyway, well then no one knows what will happen. It will come down to the terms of the sale. I would imagine any government will be under huge pressure to keep access open and not be seen to be selling off a chunk of our country to some foreigners. So I would think they would try very hard to impose the existing recreational policies on the new owners.
    Let's hope so, but these polititians have an impenetrable armour of ignorance as we've been proved to time and time again. Bertie is just 1 example of that but the political system is full of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    ...if there was to be a sale of a state asset, it must go through both houses of the oireachteas for approval before any sale goes ahead...
    They're all the same type of idiots. I wonder how Ivor Calilly is doing (and what the next scandal he'll add to his list).

As one might have noticed I'm completely against the sale. My objections stem from the fact that if it is sold the chances of it being sold for a price that will make any dent into our debts are almost zero and people like us benefiting in any way from that sale will be practically zero.

Don't forget that:
    • The Levy that has been coming out of peoples paychecks since before most of you have been working was because of more financial problems caused by an insurance company.
    • The Corrib Gas field was practically given away and coillte apparently sold land to enable the controvertial pipeline. (I know the protestors haven't always made the best of their presence in the media but that doesn't excuse issues surrounding it).
    • I've read that current nominal estimated price of Coillte is Ä1.2bn. To put that into perspective 0.75bn was given away to unsecured bondholders a week or 2 ago and MetroNorth is estimated at 2bn!
    • It's the Irish (and British) way to lose interest in people that have been wronged, because we have to hear about it! We'd much rather shout down Victims so we can get back to our happy little delusions, so if **** does happen the uproar won't last too long (for the majority) and any politician will know that.

I'm going to end the rant there for the simple reason I could go on forever and it wont make a bloody difference.

Billybobs Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    I'm going to end the rant there for the simple reason I could go on forever and it wont make a bloody difference.

True but your vote later today might

: )

Icyseanfitz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billybobs View Post
    True but your vote later today might

doubtful tbh as the vast majority of Irish politicians are the same (one description for politicians that has always stuck to me was "a good liar is a good politician" and that sums up irish politics in one go)

Billybobs Guest

I can't decide which one was written by Dermot Morgan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6tQN...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VajdHXR3VrM

It's Interesting to note Vincent doesn't say cheque or draft he says "cash"

30 Grand is a lot of cash to be waltzing around town with...... as you do.

If I got cash like that I wonder where I could put it.......

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2010/j...ffshore-funds/

Last edited by Billybobs; 03-03-11 at 11:51 AM.

Billybobs Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Icyseanfitz View Post
    doubtful tbh as the vast majority of Irish politicians are the same (one description for politicians that has always stuck to me was "a good liar is a good politician" and that sums up irish politics in one go)
    I know what your saying but its better to keep trying to find the good ones.

Not voting is the same as voting.......if someone doesn't vote they are still helping decide who wins.

Theres a lot of people who hate Fianna Fail but don't vote and
    in effect help them get into power.

Icyseanfitz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billybobs View Post
    I know what your saying but its better to keep trying to find the good ones.

Not voting is the same as voting.......if someone doesn't vote they are still helping decide who wins.

Theres a lot of people who hate Fianna Fail but don't vote and
    in effect help them get into power.
    yeah thats true, i am voting its just im trying to find the one group that is and stands for the complete opposite of FF

It's not a private company in the eyes of a European Court ruling. It's really state owned in disguise.
    In the European Court of Justice case C-339/00, Ireland v. Commission of the European Communities [2003] ECR I-11757, the ruling was that Coillte could not receive grant aid under the EU afforestation programme as it was publically owned.

Coillte remains a private company, owned by the state. It just means no EU cash for them. If anyone thinks this ruling has bestowed some kind of rights on them, take it to court and see how far you get.
    Last edited by rdhma; 25-02-11 at 03:27 PM.
    http://mbul.csn.ul.ie/phpBB3

Do you know, I've never been as sick of a thread as this one, round and round and round we go in circles.

Billybobs Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinestone Culchie View Post
    Do you know, I've never been as sick of a thread as this one, round and round and round we go in circles.
    Its got almost 5800 views so it must be of some use to people.

I voted

1. Greens
    2. Sinn Fein
    3. Fine Gael

So all of Irelands problems should be sorted very shortly.