Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: coillte being sold off to the swiss!!

Default coillte being sold off to the swiss!!

I got an email from a mate yesterday
    see below as it could affect our favourite sport.
    and I hope it is a load of bull.
    and mind you it never stopped us before,but just curious to hear the truth about our woods.

"There is some mention in newspapers of Coillte (the not-really-State-body in charge of forestry) being sold off to a Swiss-based investment company. A company that in a PR master-stroke, has employed our very own Bertie Ahern as some sort of director or advisor.

So is it true? I don't know. But I fear that it is, and I would love to find out the truth.
    So just pause a moment and think. Where do you like to go cycling?
    even if only occasionally, this could impact on your life in a major way. All of Coillte land could go into private ownership, with no requirement to give access to the public.
    If anyone knows any more about this, I'd love to hear it. Even if (especially if!) it is to say "That's a load of bull, no truth to it, forget it."
    Let me know.
    G'Luck

2. Default

Its true I'm afraid - hasnt been sold yet but the Swiss company is trying to buy it
    Same thing is happening in UK with their forests
    Iz dont mind sprintin but I hate dat

I think you might find that they will then be managed better and facilities will improve.
    it doesn't take a rocket scientist or an accountant to see the money that could be made by building a fine MTB Centre in Ticcknock, some of the best trail centres I've seen are in private forests.

jackson Guest

this story has been going around for a while now ,similar scenario in uk it was on news last night,andrew doyle td has brought this up this week as he is opposed to the idea.im sure we have nothing to worry about when a fine upstanding character like bertie aherne is involved !!

MillionDollarHero Guest

The company is the International Forestry Fund (IFF) - this is being floating around in the media since late last year and has been variously rubbished and given credence by different parties. There is a good discussion on politics.ie about it.

The end game is not the the trees or the deer or the recreational use - its the land that Coillte own and more importantly the minerals underneath that land and the ownership of the rights to exploit those minerals.

Ask the question of all the candidates in the election that you encounter.

I admit its hard to visualise Coillte falling into private interests and the same interests restricting access. Then again, it was hard to see the IMF taking over the country either.

Watch this space very carefully.

Here's the link from politics.ie;

http://www.politics.ie/environment/1...e-coillte.html

jackson Guest

thats a valid point richie has there,i would be a bit concerned about somewhere like the leadmines becoming a shopping centre though.most forests wouldnt really have development potential

Nomad Guest

Your man McCarthy has a report on selling public assets coming out soon and it'll be recommended to sell. I doubt it'll happen though, there would be uproar. Fine Gael and Labour have ruled it out.

The trails in Rotarua over in NZ are in a private forest and it's deadly.

MillionDollarHero Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jackson View Post
    thats a valid point richie has there,i would be a bit concerned about somewhere like the leadmines becoming a shopping centre though.most forests wouldnt really have development potential
    The McCarthy report (An Bord Snip) recommended that Coillte be sold lock stock and barrel to raise funds for the Irish Government.

You are delusional if you think prospective buyers are going to want to run it as an recreational business.

maybe not primarily, but you never know what they might do, I would have said you'd have been delusional not to think the IMF was coming.
    Its a mad Country we live in so anythings possible.
    Besides, its not going to stop me .

jackson Guest

[QUOTE=MillionDollarHero;

You are delusional if you think prospective buyers are going to want to run it as an recreational business.[/QUOTE]
    i think you missed the point there,coillte is mainly a commercial enterprise ,the trees are planted to be harvested,however in the 30 years or more that takes for a relatively small investment a recreational sideline could be established with a regular return for example mountain bike trails