PDA

View Full Version : XC Development race Rnd 2: Provisional results

RSSFeed
03-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Thanks to everyone who came out in the sunshine today to race! Hope you all enjoyed yourselves, thanks also to Rob Drohan and the MBUL gang, Richie Byrne from EPICMTB and the Offroad Commission for the organisation and smooth running of the race.
Here is the link to the provisional race results (http://www.irishxcmtb.com/results/2010/XC_Dev_Rnd2.pdf)
We are currently confirming laptop results against manual timing checks to ensure all results were captured correctly.
The youth results will be posted later.
A full report will also follow

More... (http://www.irishxcmtb.com/2010/03/07/xc-development-race-rnd-2-provisional-results/)

RichardL
03-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Fantastic turnout again - really sorry I missed this! 7 seconds seperating the top 3 in the A Race - that must have been good to see! And The Happy Fairy finishing 2 seconds behind Hughie! Carol winning the Ladies too!
Congrats again Richie, Fergal and everybody else involved!

The_Happy_Fairy
03-07-2010, 06:17 PM
I won the second lap, deadly, I reckon only the second lap should count.

Fat Fecker
03-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Yeah, good numbers. Sorry I couldn't make it. my boys were hit with a stomach bug....
It was like a scene from the excorsist. The smell....
Anyway, fair play to Richie, Fergal, Sean and the hosting club/organisers. If this doesn't wet peoples appetites, nothing will. I really hope to see the majority of these competitors enter the NPS.

Byrner
03-07-2010, 06:21 PM
yeah i'll do a report as soon as I have had a Pizza !!!
anyway..great racing altogether..great weekend .
Pity more Sporties didn't go, thought the turnout was still great for somewhere in the back of beyonds !! it was brilliant. After I adjusted the lap several times a wise man saved my sanity !!
I have to say well done to Carol...she really looked like she was enjoying the racing for once..
The finish sprints between people were amazing.
The finish between Damo, the Roadie and Rob..better than last time !!
Thanks to everybody who supported me on this one !! I hate the rest of you losers!!

Mickkky
03-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks to everyone involved who helped to run the event.The last lap was hard going,and somehow I managed to win the sprint to the line between 3 of us!!I think that was the best bit of riding I did in the whole 3 laps.Today has me all buzzed up,so looking forward to a pint later in the local. Micky

Redbeard
03-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Micky, you deserve a night in Tamango's for your performance today!

Well done to everyone who raced, won, or just had the craic. :)

orange
03-07-2010, 06:45 PM
thanks richie ,fergal and all the crew for another great days racing on a lovely day and a super circuit fast and flowing, but dnf the race got a flat .:mad: again i got it sorted was way down (last) 1st time i haven't finished a race in 4 years:confused: all was not lost the underage riders in boyne mtb took home a few medals so was pretty happy wont make galway :mad: the boys are making there confirmation will have to phone the bishop and see can he move the comfirmation;D

YNWA
03-07-2010, 06:46 PM
big thanks to richie, fergal ,sean and co for a great day today - a real feel-good loop and great weather has really whet the appetite. Also a big thanks to Shane the painter for the loan of some SPD cleats to save the day! Cheers.

Greyspoke
03-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Thanks to everyone for their efforts in putting this on. Caoimhe enjoyed herself after getting over her warm-up lap nerves and Cian was pretty happy with his 2nd (blaming the U12s for getting in his way!)

arni3
03-07-2010, 08:13 PM
yea what a great race :D big thanks to all the organisers well done lads
cant wait for galway
anybody have pics. from today

racing795
03-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Great fun in the sun today and another podium finish for our Paddy in the under 12s!! Well done and thanks to all the racers, but especially the organisers. Huge dedication week-in week-out. Respect.

dmcracing
03-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Whats the story with the race resuls,has me down with DNF!

Byrner
03-07-2010, 08:45 PM
i'd just like to say a big thank you to Conor Coneff and his wife Aine for being so frickin helpful to me today. I can safely say without them, Fergal and Sean todays race would not have happened.
Sean is the Chairman of the Offroad Commission and Fergal is the XC co ordinator.
These are Volunteers , they do not get paid by Cycling Ireland, they ask for no expenses for these events.
They won't let me claim expenses, any money we make, which is minimal goes back in to the running of the events.
These events are put on by racers to introduce people to the challenging sport of XC racing.
The spectators seem to really enjoy the short techniucl courses, its all over in an hour, everybody gets pushed to their limits and they are racing wheel to wheel.
its sprint finish after sprint finish.
I had a great weekend meeting old friends and making new ones.
The Deebert House Hotel was brilliant, we were treated like royalty and the food was savage.
well done to everybody who supported this event, I hope Galway will prove to be huge !
Richie

Byrner
03-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Whats the story with the race resuls,has me down with DNF!

Fergal will sort that out Derek !
I seen you finish in a bunch !

racing795
03-07-2010, 08:52 PM
anybody have pics. from today

Here's a few to start the ball rolling... http://url.ie/5ae3

paulmc
03-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks to all involved, had a good day apart from the bit of bike trouble but still managed to finish hope to make Galway in two weeks.

Redbeard
03-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks Richie, we get as much craic out of marshaling/helping as those who race. Believe it or not!

Anyway, a few pics courtesy of Shane Lavelle/Aines camera.
http://picasaweb.google.com/aineconneff/BallyhouraR2#

froshtyv
03-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Had a great day,

Thanks to all who did the hard work of organising everything,

First time in Ballyhoura great trails ill def head back there again,

Didnt do as bad as i thought i was going to do,
The uphill def isnt my strong point but it had to be done,

Im not sure of his name but he had black curlyish hair handing out the jellys, cheers for the push aswell...

niall davis
03-07-2010, 10:04 PM
The guy handing out the jellys... was he a real handsome looking chap by any chance??

froshtyv
03-07-2010, 10:07 PM
The guy handing out the jellys... was he a real handsome looking chap by any chance??

Haha ya he was drop dead alright!!

Cheers for the push anyway man.

Byrner
03-07-2010, 10:15 PM
by the way, hes Irelands no 1 Mountainbiker and a superb Ambassador for the Sport. Thanks Niall for all the encouragement , the free Jellys to the Competitors and the kids loved the hats.
Its a pity other Elite class riders wouldn't come along like yourself and Beth McCLuskey supporting everybody..

orange
03-07-2010, 10:20 PM
well said richie and thanks niall the kids love the hats:)

froshtyv
03-07-2010, 10:20 PM
by the way, hes Irelands no 1 Mountainbiker and a superb Ambassador for the Sport. Thanks Niall for all the encouragement , the free Jellys to the Competitors and the kids loved the hats.
Its a pity other Elite class riders wouldn't come along like yourself and Beth McCLuskey supporting everybody..

I know the name but didnt know the face,

Def credit to you Niall, hope to see yee all at the Galway one, less travelling for me for that one :)

shanethepainter
03-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks to Richie B, Fergal, Sean, Conor C (for confirming directions on the way down),
Aine ( for the lend of the camera and sorting out the 300 odd photos I took) Conor L enjoyed himself and is already bending my ear about galway.
It was an excellent day and enjoyed by all!
Shane L.

Byrner
03-07-2010, 10:29 PM
thanks for your help too, Shane !

Masochst
03-07-2010, 10:37 PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/117968600452117115671/BallyhouraDevRace2010#

My photos from where I was marsaling along the boardwalk section.

Special mention goes to Hughie (I think) for posing for the following photo...
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_wnUUSN2APG8/S5Qga5x-PKI/AAAAAAAAAHM/hWDcid9x93E/s720/IMG_2572.JPG

and also to this guy!
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_wnUUSN2APG8/S5Qg_n86EPI/AAAAAAAAAH8/Do77Gbm3J1M/s720/IMG_2583.JPG

Byrner
03-07-2010, 10:45 PM
yeh thats Hugie and Jackson !!

Byrner
03-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Under 8's 1 Lap

1. Caoimhe May

Under 10's 2 laps
1. Jamie Grifferty
2. Cian May
3.Kristof Rael
4.Ryan Dunne
5.Aaron Wade

Under 12's 3 laps
1. Allesandro Martinis
2.Paddy Furlong
3.Eric Duffy
4.Leah Maunsell

Well done to these little savages..well done to their parents and friends for getting them to race.
Caoimhe is only 6 !!
We need to start raiding the local soccer teams and GAA clubs for more of these future Nialls and Beths..!!

If anybody has any sensible ideas on how to get kids in to MTB can they let me know !

Dethshed
03-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Fergal will sort that out Derek !
I seen you finish in a bunch !

yeah, we had some bunch sprinters with muddy numbers and struggled a bit to get numbers so let me check that out for you tomorrow

Pablo
03-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Thanks to Richie, Fergal, Sean, Connor and all those that made this a great race.
Great route: fast and not too technical, perfect intro to XC racing. Great too to have a Sports A & B, gives us a chance to race for lead against those of similar ability, of course wont be saying that now I have to race against the A's!

linehane
03-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Fantastic course and well organised. As a beginner, totally new to any kind of competitive cycling, I really enjoyed it. If I had a criticism it would be that it wasn't really fair having people new to the sport and experienced riders on the course at the same time. Although the majority of sport B riders were quick enough to not be caught by the As, some were. These people, first time in a XC race, struggling at the back were shouted at and generally terrified as experienced riders hurtled down very long singletrack descent behind them with nowhere to get passed. Something to keep in mind next time, when using a course where it will be difficult to pass, try to avoid fast and slow riders mixing as it will put off the slower riders who are generally the new people that the development series is trying to coax into the sport and racing.

Deebert House Hotel
03-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi Richie

Thanks for staying with us at Deebert. Hope to see you back again now you know where we are!!

Byrner
03-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Fantastic course and well organised. As a beginner, totally new to any kind of competitive cycling, I really enjoyed it. If I had a criticism it would be that it wasn't really fair having people new to the sport and experienced riders on the course at the same time. Although the majority of sport B riders were quick enough to not be caught by the As, some were. These people, first time in a XC race, struggling at the back were shouted at and generally terrified as experienced riders hurtled down very long singletrack descent behind them with nowhere to get passed. Something to keep in mind next time, when using a course where it will be difficult to pass, try to avoid fast and slow riders mixing as it will put off the slower riders who are generally the new people that the development series is trying to coax into the sport and racing.

Linehan, hows it going..
Thanks for your comments. Now, since the dawn of XC racing this has been a problem in XC racing, however, its part of XC racing to learn to deal with it,i'm afraid. I'm not being smart here with you and I understand where you are coming from.
I decided to run both A and B together so that this very kind of experience can be discovered in a fairly short course.
In the NPS and other XC races you will have to deal with mixing it up with more experienced and aggressive riders.
Having said that its in everybodies interest that they learn some manners when passing. ABuse and physical deliberate physical contact is bad news.
The A category racers should know better than to try and intimidate Bs on the Course.
Unless we get huge numbers we won't run them seperatley, i'm afraid. I want beginners to experience racing and jostling for position on the trail is part of it.
My advice to you is don't panic if they come up behind you, if you can't get out of the way easily, don't,, but as soon as you can, move over slightly, if they can squeeze past without barging then they've earned the room you've given them. If you feel a rider is way too aggressive and threatening..Talk to the Commissar, thats me..i'm an official Ref.
As you progress in racing and into the age categories you will see real stupid prima donna antics, usually from the less competent..people like Joe or Robin or Damo and Alfie will say " rider up, on your right/left and they'll get past without any hassle and will always say thanks.
I hope this helps, if I were you if somebody starts shouting at you just shout back or tell them , you'll rat them out to me !!
RIchie

The_Happy_Fairy
03-08-2010, 05:09 PM
As Richie says good rider will always let you know when he is coming and which side he is passing you on. Most decent ones will also say thanks for getting out of their way. Everyone has to deal with this. The fast guys on Sunday will be in your position come the NPS when Elites are lapping them, our Elites get it when they go to international races, its just one of those things. If people are nice about it and give clear instructions when they are passing then it all works out fine, if they are aggressive everyone looses.

I noticed some people where hassling people in their own race to get out of their way. This happens in big races too, but if they are in your race and on the same lap as you, its entirely up to them to get past you. If you are stuck behind someone in your own race (and not lapping them) that’s just though luck, its your fault for being in that position, so don’t be trying to bully people into giving up places.

Byrner
03-08-2010, 05:18 PM
well put Sean, this is one of the reasons Carol hates racing, shes a small middle aged lady who has to contend with ignorant eejits shouting and trying to barge past her while shes stuck behind some other rider. But i have had great success teching her to deal with it..she now just ignores them and pulls away from them, making them feel like the idiots they re.
Everybody is learning. You have to learn to overtake sensibly.
You can always get your own back at The Blast, where you can punish them physically for their ignorance !

KevinL
03-08-2010, 05:36 PM
The racing was brilliant yesterday, always within sight of the next rider and good craic making up and losing places every lap.
I came across the odd muppet at the start, giving it loads, mouthing away, but you just have to laugh at blokes with lycra clad guts hanging off them, losing the rag in a Sports class race! And then block them for as long as possible...
There were only one or two at that and it wasn't the lads who won either, funny enough.

RichardL
03-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Carol hates racing, shes a small middle aged lady...

Just as well Carol doesn't hang around the forum much ...... she'd bleedin kill you for that!!

The_Happy_Fairy
03-08-2010, 06:00 PM
I have to say I enjoyed racing around. While for the first lap I was just messing, I was flat out for the second and third, and was knackered by the time I finished.

I passed some guy just coming up the high point on the second lap, heading in to the long decent. I was thinking I’ll just ease away from him on it, no problem. After the first little bit he was still there, so I went a bit faster, still there. Now I would fancy myself as being reasonably handy on the old single track, especially that kind of stuff, pedaly, drifty corners, etc. So I went for it. He was still there, so I really went for it, tearing the ‘inflate to whatever’ off the edge of the tyres on the corners, sprinting out of them, hoping over the trail anchors, really giving it 100%. By the time I got to the bottom I was fooked and had nearly impaled myself a number or times, and you know what, he was still bleedin well there, I had gotten about 5 yards on him and that was all I could manage. He comes up along side me on the fireroad and says ‘that sections great fun isn’t it’ I was so demoralised all I could manage was a ‘eh, yeah’. So anyway whoever you where, well done, I was really trying.

Byrner
03-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Well, Carol loved it, she really liked the singletrack and shes enjoying these races as they are all new tracks to her and races are over in an hour.
There are a few begrudgers left over from when myself and The Happy Fairy used to race XC seriously, they despise " The Baggies Brigade !" which is hilarious because in the olden times when they started racing they were wearing cotton tracksuit bottoms and their helmets on the back of their heads.
Some of the fastest lads in an XC race over the years were lads wearing baggies..
These Developmentl races might seem like unimportant little races to certain people but they are mistaken.
These races are the most important addition to the Racing scene since The Blast or the MAD Challenge jobbie * Sorry Fergal I can't remember the name of it !! because you don't have to be a miserable skinny ******* with a Lycra graft, anybody can have a go and complete them.
I'm extrememly happy with the way they've gone so far.
aNd i'm particularly grateful to all the riders who have taken part so far ! Thank you

dmcracing
03-08-2010, 06:48 PM
I would just like to say a big thank you to all involved (Richie) on yesterdays race,and the whole Development race series,from my point of view it is a fantastic route back into xc racing after a 14 year break!And because of it, i will now race the NPS.Thanks again.

Boom
03-08-2010, 07:18 PM
[COLOR=#1a1917]I noticed some people where hassling people in their own race to get out of their way. This happens in big races too, but if they are in your race and on the same lap as you, its entirely up to them to get past you. If you are stuck behind someone in your own race (and not lapping them) that’s just though luck, its your fault for being in that position, so don’t be trying to bully people into giving up places.

thats a very good point. i had a few lads shouting go faster obscenities at me (including me own club mate :o)
sure i just slowed up a bit more until they got the red rage and lost the plot hee heee

there's a big difference in say, an NPS type situation where the good lads are lapping you (and believe me I have lots of experience) and holding your real position in the race.

of course your going to let a faster rider who is lapping you through (and they are always the courteous ones) but why would you give up your place to the guy behind you? its a race after all

damdugg
03-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Well done again to Richie ,Sean , Fergal and Niall another great days racing and lots of fun , I think im getting the xc bug back .

I'm not sure who the experienced A riders that were doing all of the passing and shouting were but they weren't up the front anyway !! I think that most people get a little excited when racing especially the inexperienced ! The one thing I have learned xc racing is , its a long way around and the opportunities will present themselves if your able to take them , theres no point going for olympic gold in lap one and blowing up half way around the first lap and then having all of the guys you've been shouting at pass you by one by one .A slower rider will always keep in and let you out as its no fun having someone rattling your paniers off when clearly they will be gone in a flash and you can race on in peace . For those who are racing hard wheel on wheel its everyone for themselves and generally its very respectful . Its xc racing and you have to use your head .

Lastly there are usually more overtaking opportunities on a regular xc race track .

Thanks again

Damo .

paddyb
03-08-2010, 10:22 PM
thats a very good point. i had a few lads shouting go faster obscenities at me (including me own club mate :o)
sure i just slowed up a bit more until they got the red rage and lost the plot hee heee

there's a big difference in say, an NPS type situation where the good lads are lapping you (and believe me I have lots of experience) and holding your real position in the race.

of course your going to let a faster rider who is lapping you through (and they are always the courteous ones) but why would you give up your place to the guy behind you? its a race after all

I think I was in the same group as you. He came up behind me on the last lap of the A race and was shouting to get out of his way but I just ignored him. Then he started rubbing his tyres against mine until he eventually got by.

Dethshed
03-09-2010, 07:34 AM
class!
check out the "I am going to plant you" grin on 115 - Brian O'Sullivan...
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_sPLdMSDUXVo/S5QYsIvwlvI/AAAAAAAADEw/6b_FfYKcuIU/s912/DSC_0688.JPG
and then.....

WHAMMMMYYYY!!!!!!!!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_sPLdMSDUXVo/S5QY0fxK9zI/AAAAAAAADE8/V8JGn_sXpLs/s912/DSC_0690.JPG

Byrner
03-09-2010, 07:37 AM
that was hilarious ...i think one of their kids got a video of the crash!

Vorious
03-09-2010, 10:36 AM
I noticed some people where hassling people in their own race to get out of their way. This happens in big races too, but if they are in your race and on the same lap as you, its entirely up to them to get past you. If you are stuck behind someone in your own race (and not lapping them) that’s just though luck, its your fault for being in that position, so don’t be trying to bully people into giving up places.

Ha, I had this exact problem, on the LAST LAP! I was asked to move out of the way, to which I replied "it's a RACE", he then said, "well I'm going faster", so I said, "if you were going faster pal, YOU'D BE AHEAD OF ME!". Honestly, I think it was 5th or 6th place in the Sport A we were battling for. Where I come from, a race is a race, if you think you're faster, make the pass by all or any means but don't be so cheeky as to just ask a fellow competitor to just move aside & let you through. It goes against anything I've ever learned racing, I may only be racing mountainbikes a wet week but I've raced for nearly 20 years now in other disciplines.

Byrner
03-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Listen, we've had that for years in this game as well..!! Its hilarious. Its a race as you say ! " but i'm faster !!" Thats deadly !Singletrack has a maximum speed when you consider the twists and turns and especially the type in Ballinastoe, Ballyhoura and Derroura, you can only go so fast. They are designed to restrict the speed you can go at for safety.Its when you get out on to the wider trails. In fairness though, we have seen people being lapped from a slower category hold up faster people out of spite !!
It takes all sorts ! People don't like to be caught.
While we are on the subject of racing.
You don't need a camelback ( not one of those monster jobs ,anyway) , a rainjacket or one of those ridiculous head scarf things when you are racing !!

Hydrate the day before and about 500mm an hour before you start. ( thats what i have discovered the most effective)
Hydration is the single most important thing in a race ( that will change when you do it automatically to something else most important, but get that in your head first )

Before the race

Hydration starts the day before your ride, ideally in the evening before a big ride day, you'll want to drink a litre or more of plain water. You should need to go to the toilet before bed and your urine should be clear. Avoid anything with caffeine, as it's a diuretic and will dehydrate you overnight. Have a water bottle beside your bed and if you wake up overnight have a sip from it.

On the morning of your ride, try and drink a liter or so of water with cordial or some other flavouring if you like, but nothing suggary. Stop drinking about 2 hours before your ride. The reason we stop 2 hours before your ride is to reduce the risk of your needing to urinate while on your ride.

Some riders may find it beneficial to have a caffeinated drink 20 or so minutes before your ride, experiment with this on training rides before doing it on race day, to make sure you don't end up busting for a wee on the startline!