PDA

View Full Version : My last nutty long distance thing for the year...

ryan
10-08-2008, 10:56 AM
I did the Marathon World Cup in France at the weekend (great event - amazing course - http://www.extreme-sur-loue.com/fr/index.php) but I am 80% sure I'm going to do one last long event before I hit my 'off-season'.

It looks like I will do the Wicklow Way in one go tomorrow. Basically starting at Marley Park and riding the 127km from 10am (earlier if I can get around the park opening hours).

I have ridden to Glenmalure a few times but have people ridden the last part? Any GPS files/advice etc...?

Mel will be giving me a hand all day, any other help/advice is appreciated too... I'm thinking somewhere in the 8-9 hour range. It could be done faster but I don't want to suffer too much - it is my 'off-season' after all.

Also - I would like to have it as an 'official' record (which means walking my bike in the park etc...) - anyone have any ideas on how I can make if 'official'?

Byrner
10-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Sorry Ryan, I've no idea myself, but fair play, you're a legend, best of Luck ,Richie

Dethshed
10-08-2008, 12:21 PM
tough question alright - your GPS trace/record will be a good 'proof' of
distance covered/route taken/time taken etc..
just make sure there's plenty of juice in it's batteries...
and don't forget to turn it on...

and you say this is your off-season...you mad yoke - good luck with it

Don
10-08-2008, 01:05 PM
and don't forget to turn it on...

That reminds me of this guy at the Blast final, fumbling with his helmut cam, trying to switch it on while we all blatted off into the distance....:)

Dethshed
10-08-2008, 01:25 PM
you needed that head start badly ;)

ryan
10-08-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm 99% sure I'm doing it now. Got the day off work - just need to go through maps, build up a bike and good some food ready - simple :)

Don
10-08-2008, 02:17 PM
You lucky dog...from Met Eireann...

"East and southeast will remain dry until nightfall. Highest temperatures will range from 13 to 16 degrees in fresh to strong southerly winds."

Enduro
10-08-2008, 10:33 PM
In case you get to read in time this Ryan....

To make it official, make sure ride all the WW without deviations, including the "mad" bits that are normally skipped/shortcutted. Start and stop the timing at the information boards at either end. Have Mel as your timekeeper rather than trying to do it yourself. The GPS will be great proof.

Cycle through the park. There is nothing to stop you. When we did it by bike we lifted the bikes over the railings at the south gate to get in and out at 5am. When I ran it a few weeks ago they were replacing the bikes so you coul easily get through there in the middle of the night, even with a bike.

Keep the stops to a minimum. At your level you should be able to go pretty much non-stop apart from reloading food and liquid supplies.

The bottom half is much easier than the top half. Mostly roads and fireroads. The worst terraine is likely to be the bit of the WW near sleive man that runs parallel to the road, and the extremely boggy bit that leads into it. Won't slow you up for long though. There is a bit of a farmers path in the Shilelagh area that goes on for about a mile that will be crappy as well. But apart from that it'll be all very high speed stuff that could be done on semi slicks.

ryan
10-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks for all that Eoin :)

I'm all ready to head round to Marley Park in the next while - probably leaving there at 10:10am.

Mel will be updating my Twitter Account with progress as the day goes by on: http://twitter.com/ryan_sherlock

ryan
10-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Just back home to Dublin now.

Did the complete thing in 8:17:19 in some very tricky conditions. Everyone told me that the last 50k was easy - it was the hardest! If you were not on a road (which was nice) you where on some slompy path. It was so so wet! The rain didn't bother me, the soaked ground did!

I'll be writing a report about it some time next week.

Man, I'm tired...

Byrner
10-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Well done Ryan, you are legend
Richie

al
10-09-2008, 11:38 PM
fair play Ryan you are some savage.

Enduro
10-10-2008, 12:21 AM
Super stuff. That's a marker well and truly put down.

OZ
10-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Well done, savage ride

Don
10-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Wow...

afgan
10-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Well done Ryan, That sure is the standard now for someone else to beat, Way back in 1992 I got my owldear to drop me to Tinahely village and I rode back on my own to marley in 8.5 hours, So hats off to you.

ryan
10-27-2008, 09:43 AM
I finally got around to writing my final post about breaking the Wicklow Way record.

You can find it here (http://ryansherlock.blogspot.com/2008/10/wicklow-way-record-attempt-part-3.html).

All the Wicklow Way posts are available here (http://ryansherlock.blogspot.com/search/label/wicklow%20way).

If I was ever going to do it again I would wait until 2-3 weeks of dry weather because that last section sucked so so bad.

PeterOF
10-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Took me and a few mates 8 hours and 4 minutes to Glenmalure mostly by the WW on Saturday. (dropped into Powerscourt from Crone, up the zigzags and then went across the sheep track instead of the sleepers at Djouce)

Had to dab three times on Kilmashogue lane...

cheers,
pd

Byrner
10-28-2008, 12:28 PM
nice one Peter, dabbed only 3 times..did you see the big big holes on that sheep track ?
If you fell in there you'd never get out..
8 hours to Glenmalure..I like that spin..