PDA

View Full Version : The Blast.....

GavD
09-14-2008, 08:44 PM
I'd just like to say a big thank you to everyone who put in the effort for this race, with the build up and on the race day. The marshalls were deadly for putting up with the hanging around and not racing. Sean was deadly at the top getting us all pumped for the races and looking after the fallen ones. Cheers Carmo for the kickin tunes. It was deadly getting blasted out of it going into the forest. Richies slagging at the end and the cakes.

Thanks Al for letting me use your bike and for doing so much work up there..

Finally thanks to everyone who helped I think I can safely say this was the race of the year. I had an amazing day.

BTW everyone I spoke to had the same opinion.

Cheers,
Gav

colly keogh
09-14-2008, 08:56 PM
like to thank all involved great laugh hard as f**k tho nice cakes at the end

Byrner
09-14-2008, 09:26 PM
yeah what can i say, I fretted since July about the weather and what happens it fcukin pours, however..
Great event again, the course builders, too many to mention...they know who they are, but especially Skippy
The Uplift drivers, especially Vincent
The guy who owned the Golf Club , a big thank you, with 250 riders we were reliant on his genorosity.
Damo and his team for the finish.
Alastair for his running around, with Stewart
Stewart Carr for unbelievable work with absolutely everything.
Gerry for doing more in the last 2 days then some people have done all year.
BON , Ross and jack for savage work overall and who contribute so much of what you don't see, just like Alan Ayling.
Cathal Jordan, if everybody took their job as seriously as he does, we would rule the world, members take not, hes the guy to emulate..
Beth and John for looking after the food
all the people who provided the food.
All the wives and families..
Sean for Marshalling the troops at the top.
Chainreaction ( Michael Cowan) for the non stop support for the event..
Propedal
Shayne Murphy Snap Printing Dun Laoghaire , always there for us, even when hes flat out and under pressure.
Phillipe the Photo guy..great idea,
All the kids..the mini blast was deadly
Brian from the Mountain rescue..not the eejits, the other ones ,Dublin /Wicklow
The Ambulance guys
Coillte
Justin May and Alfie, if they weren't around I'd be in prison for Murder
Sophie for being my right hand Girl
Natalie, Carol,Cloda and Una for being such deadly ladies..digging their socks off for us.
Fergal from MAD, for being an invaluable asset to me
Joe jackman and Mark Tiernan for the ultimate sacrifice, not riding and marshalling..
and knowing them they would have loved to ride it
Don..for being King of the Goobers..
All the riders..you are the cream of the crop,,anybody who rode today is a mountainbike legend..we've had marathon races that were easier..
Come on..why would you not come to the Blast..its the measure of a real mountainbiker to pit yourself against the trail, a track we design to test everybody..
Niall Davis is a very ,very worthy winner of the Blast..a gentleman athlete if there was ever one.
He doesn't need no Olympics, hes officially the Greatest Mountainbiker in Ireland..
as for Cait Elliot..Xc Champ, Xc Marathon Champ, EPIC Blast Winner..say no more..
theres a whole list of people to thank,
I will see you personaly and shake your hand.
Thank you everybody who supported us. A huge amount of effort goes into running this event,
I would love to see another one somewhere else in the Country..
results will be up tomorrow, i'm going to get locked now,
Richie

Andrew
09-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Big thanks to all who helped in organising and running this, I have organised races before for different sports and know how much effort went into it.
Course was class, commentry class, everthing seemed to go like clockwork.
Best race of the year, just call met eireann next year and arrange the weather !!!

Basil Fawlty
09-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Please God don't ever let me have parking duty again, I'll clean the jacks or something instead, no bother. 3 1/2 hours of that this morning left me feeling broken altogether, couldn't face the idea of getting on a bike after that, some business at home called and I legged it. Glad to hear the day went so well and that Niall was confirmed as the best mountainbiker in the country.

To echo what Richie said, we are truly indebted to Mr Mulligan who owns the golf course. When he saw the state of things out on the road he was most helpful and accommodating. Without him we would have had a disaster parking-wise. A true gentleman and most patient.

ShaneO
09-14-2008, 09:56 PM
just wanted to say thanks richie and everyone for a fantastic day. it was my mates and my own first race and what a way to start. Great buzz I took a fourth win in the first heat but have no idea about the second. doesnt really matter though.
my best memory, is looking over my left shoulder and seeing a black siloute of some 200 riders yellin and burning down the hill disapearing and reapearing in the mist. in the trance Id almost Id forgotten I was one of them. What a sight
My rear mec and hanger got shafted so i didnt finish the Blast. Shame but it was really the buzz on the uplifts.
Watching other riders tear it up while hike'in the bikes.
Chatting about the mud and I got to say the weather that really made it for me. That and the organization was just superb. top job.

I chatted with the lads doing the filming and they say they have some fantastic stuff. Racing, jumps, crashes, mud, mud, mud and a galloping hoard of mentilists in the mist..

I hope we can make a flic for everyone that was there and that it will be as good as today was.
If it happens to be on some ****ty rainy day in the winter maybe while watching it youll think, rain and mud is class and then you will get out on the bike and ride......

what a day :)

Byrner
09-14-2008, 10:14 PM
hey Shane..you're a legend..
them film guys were brilliant..glad you had a good day..everybody was fantastic..i'm just not drunk enough yet !!

Don
09-14-2008, 10:23 PM
I'd like to add Richie to Richies list, he may have been backed up the brilliant team mentioned above, but we all know without him pushing things forward it never would have happened. That you El Capitano. Thank you everybody. It was an amazing day (over 250 riders I think) that will be remembered by everyone who did battle with eachother and the course. After a bright start the rain failed to put too much of a dampner on things, the course was never going to be easy and the schlomp just added to the challenge. I was Sir Dabsalot, and have never been so all over the shop, crashing on the first two runs and nearly binning myself at every turn, it will make horrific viewing if it makes it to video. If the NRS is to go what a way to bow out, my Ignitors where worse than useless until I let nearly all the air out of them for the Blast, I was coveting other peoples Wet Screams and Swampthings in a big way. The atmosphere for the Blast at the end was something to behold. Sean's speech was mighty and Jack nearly got run over by about 20 riders, I'll never forget the look on his face...As for my cool Goober Award I am honoured, and I will do my best to prove that Goobers too can be contenders.

Happy days.

m4rtn
09-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Thanks everyone.
Pleasure as always.

Byrner
09-14-2008, 10:35 PM
hey Don..
you forgot to gloat over your victory over Fergal and Morgan..get those gloats in..get them in deep , red and squishy !!
and remember every time they are naked with their wimmin..they'll be thinking of the kicking you gave them..and if they weren't before they sure as bat**** ,will be now !!

gaulty
09-14-2008, 11:09 PM
first time i've had a Blast at racing since the auld BMX days, super day and cheers to all, the track was Deadly good, still got a smile on!

al
09-15-2008, 12:07 AM
even with all my running around i had a great day cheers for the mini bike stewart. I think Byrner forgot to thank a few people. Those people are the racers if it wasn't for you guys turning up it would have been nothing. The digging the collecting stuff the phone calls etc would have been a big waste of time if no one turned up. So cheers lads and lasses for making it a class day despite the crap weather. I think its the first race i haven't heard anyone moan at in a long while atleast not without trying to hide a bit of a grin to show how much they where really lovin it. Also have to hand it to Carmo for belting out the tunes at the top. Not many would have stuck the rain to keep you racers entertained. Rock on next year.

Gav no bother for the bike it better be clean when i get it back.

adamt
09-15-2008, 07:56 AM
Yeah absolutely amazing days riding. So thanks to everyone that made the day possible and showing people how good mountain biking can be, if it wasn’t for you guys giving up your time on the bike to do it we couldn’t of had such a great day. A big round of applause to all you. Epic can be very proud of a great race.

Waldorf
09-15-2008, 08:21 AM
What a day. Well done to all involved, especially those that gave up their weekends to build the course. The only things that got me up and down the runs were the thoughts of all those lovely goodies waiting for me at the finish.
Funniest scene of the day was when Jack nearly got run over by 100 Blasters at the top of the mountain, run rabbit run!
Epic has set another benchmark on how to run an event. Fantastic effort.

jack
09-15-2008, 08:48 AM
That was a great day up at the top of the hill starting off all the racers. so much fun and everyone was in a great form. looking forward to racing down to the bottom, what ever their biking level.

Fair play to everyone who did their part, big or small. It all helps as there is always loads to do.

Now the start of the Blast, Feck i was defo in the wrong place at the wrong time. I couldn't go in any direction with out getting in the way, so i'm sorry if i held anyone up at the start!!!;)

Fat Fecker
09-15-2008, 08:58 AM
I think Byrner need a mention. He put a few hours in himself. I thought he looked a bit stressed at times, so well done to Alfie & Damo for keeping him sane. Next time more people need to get involved..... Spread the load. Trophies are easily thought up, but are time consuming. Richie could have done without having to do them. Next year someone else can make them with me...
And we need to take some of the load off Skippy. Just because he can get his hands on everything, doesn't mean he should have to. Lets not get complacent. There are plenty of us that can find stuff when we really need to.
EPIC is lucky to have a really tight knit committee, and for such a young club, we are very professional in a relaxed way. Next season promises to be a blinder, so lets all get stuck in and put epic on a bigger map. We have more than enough members to do it....
If you don't want to help, thats fine... find a new club.

Byrner
09-15-2008, 09:13 AM
thanks Stewart, myself and Skippy were involved in everything from scratch. Digging, digging, digging, sorting out the Golf Course, fixing things people didn't see being fixed, but its Carol you should really be thanking, she never once complained when I turned the sitting room into a workshop and a gear dump.
Not being at home was probably a blessing.
But without Damo and Alfie backing me up, you can forget about the event ever happening.
The really hardest part is not getting to race..jeesus..when you're at the bottom and you really want to be in the thick of it pushing and shoving and laughing your ass off..
the frustration is unbelievable..
Its not the same as watching people push themselves to the limit in an XC race..and your're thinking..i'm glad thats not me..
So i'm really hoping people run one somewhere else..imagine 4 in a year in the 4 provinces..
One thing though..John Dorris is the Blast Man..he looks like hes going to the shops full of drink, with his big smiley head..actually I think he was on his way home from work when he came to the race.
This morning i feel like never again..its just too much work for little or no appreciation..
but give me a couple of days
Richie

hefner
09-15-2008, 09:21 AM
great day, thanks to all for the hard work put in...roll on next years

hefner

Marc
09-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Great day out, can't believe how smoothly everything ran with 200+ riders, sign on, uplifts, food, everything was spot on. Thanks to all involved

Crash
09-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Great day yesterday. Rain didn't really put a damper on it at all. A damn well organised event. Thanks to everyone involved from the top of the mountain to that MC giving abuse at the bottom.
Was my first race and I'm hooked.
Cheers.

ConorM
09-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks for everything guys.

here's a quick vid to bring back the memories ;)

http://www.conormansell.co.uk/Mountain%20Biking/2008%20Epic%20Blast/slides/blast_0001.html

beebeep
09-15-2008, 09:59 AM
whoohoo, what a hilarious day....i didnt think i'd survive it let alone enjoy it:)

well done especially to the trail builders, there was a serious amount of work done in ****ty conditions..........riding the course yesterday was a ridiculous amount of fun........huge thanks to everyone helping out on the day, the uplifts were great, sean and jack screaming abuse at the top, richie and co screaming at the bottom and all the marshalls screaming abuse in between.....brilliant:)

Don
09-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Yes, the uplifts deserve a special mention, the three worked really well, thanks Vincent and Co, brilliant job.

Scrivo
09-15-2008, 10:14 AM
That was definitely the most fun I have ever had on a bike. No question... The Mega came close but that was just so much better. The amount of work that went into that course must have been crazy. Every bit of it was deadly and its hard for a track to stay deadly when its that muddy. I was surprised with how little waiting around there was and how efficiently everything ran. I'd say it was a whole different story behind the scenes but the racers got to enjoy a day of savage racing without any downside.

Thats two of the best mtb events in the country, this year, put on by the same club!! Incredible stuff. Congratulations EPIC. Still buzzing from the Blast and extremely appreciative of what you're doing to mtb in Ireland.

PAULO
09-15-2008, 10:52 AM
That was the funniest thing i have ever seen, where i was playing the tunes at the top red bull arch was brilliant.

The start of the Blast was like the start of the Jackass movie, a load of eejits flying out of the mist towards certain misfortune (with Dave 'Johnny Knoxville' Egan with the holeshot)! Deadly

Great event and well done to everyone who was there and all the people who gave up loads of time to get it going.

More of the same next year!!!

Oh my God..the food at the bottom was top drawer, after a day on that hill it was savaged by me. 8 sandwiches and 4 cakes at last count. thank u very much to all involved in that!

ConorM
09-15-2008, 11:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dijtt845iYs

timh
09-15-2008, 11:10 AM
What a day, well done to all involved with putting on the best mountain bike event in Ireland. The Blast format is the future.

Great track, great cakes, great marshalls, the DJ wasn't right in the head stood there all day, great uplifts, great racing, great camera guys, great attitude from all the other racers.

A special thanks to Richie for lending my heavily pregnant wife/pitcrew a seat so she could spectate in comfort. You're really much nicer than people say you are.

Hope the fallen riders all heal quickly.

Don
09-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Nice vid Conor, you have some engine, and I admire your "assertive" riding style!

Dethshed
09-15-2008, 11:22 AM
well now, you dirty slags, wasn't that just the filthiest fun you could have with your clothes on?
the contrast of teeth and white eyeballs with the caked-brown faces was some sight to behold
I for one definitely appreciated the huge amount of extra effort EPIC went to to deschlomp the swamp sections
with all those extra bridges and rocks etc.. but mother nature can be a cruel hooer sometimes...
anyway, up yours to the Irish climate, no one was deterred, in fact the wild sliding and ridiculous crashes (I'll include myself there)
were a key part of the whole experience
there was an awful lot of work going on behind the scenes of biking madness and I like to thank all the people who made
it possible -from the mind numbing jobs Alfie and Alan had directing cars to the slagging of just about every rider who finished
by Richie, the people who made the sambos, Stewarts amazing job on those throphies, uplifters, shirt-lifters, the sign-on crew,
the clean-up crew, Red-Bull babys, the body-mending crew, the deadly DJ who kicked things off with Robot Rock and then for the 1st places heats we
were treated to Ring of Fire - that was brilliant - I was humming it all the way down the track afterwards, there was some amount of heroes for sure....
now -that business with Don, well now, I thought there was at least another 5 minutes of pre-race verbal inspiration
from the Minister of Mayhemic MTB, so I was busy fiddling with the buttons on my camera and fixing my hair style etc...
and then all of a sudden there was a huge wave of riders were belting down the hill - what the feccckkk???
quick as I could I folded up my vanity mirror, popped it back into my handbag, popped on my goggles and yahhoooo!!!
such a great feeling bating down a heathery hill with a legion of fellow loons all around, a hefty traffic jam awaited at the forest,
I think the special branch were there searching riders for crazy-people-pills, the steam coming off people was crazy
Then it was sideways and forwards and up and down and whatever worked to get me down the rest of the course, I spotted
the King of the Goobers a few times on the way down, but the man is a mountainbiker through and through and I never caught him
I couldn't have lost to a nicer lad - the big mad grin on him at the finish line and the roars of slagging from the Byrne lad made it all worthwhile
Thanks be to the Divine Crankshaft in the sky that I beat Morgan - god I would have been, like, "totally morto" if Morgan beat me,
I had no qualms whatsoever about pushing him off if I didn't get past him.....
I banjoed myself in the bombhole in the last forest section and the cheers and whistles I received - I felt like I was feckin' Niall Davis - deadly,
but I wasn't, so I hopped back on and bounced along to the finish line to some lovely tea and sambos and a grinning crowd of mud-monsters.
As I said to someone, I had looked forward to that day for 2 years and it was well worth the wait -
and I would like to finish to say that I am still...... totally ...what's Richie's term again?...
ah yes, stoked!!!...yeahhhhhh...stoked like a big feckin' poker in a big feckin fire!!!
thanks everyone

Byrner
09-15-2008, 11:51 AM
totally like stoked man..I was stoking !!

CmcG
09-15-2008, 02:42 PM
To all who were involved on the day and behind the scences beforehand a massive thank you for a fabulous day's fun. It must have been a big sacrifice to give up taking part in order to organise on the day so many thanks to all. Everything was just spot on from start to finish! I thoroughly enjoyed it all. looking forward to next years already!

diamondG
09-15-2008, 02:43 PM
you did it again EPIC!!

the course was class!! And what a day!
It must have taken some work to set that all up, it was A1, and we owe you!

as much as I like XC, I'm gettin a big bike, jumps into berms is where its at.
I can't remember having that much craic. As much as I love XC, there just isn't enough fear involved in it :) That course has changed me

Funny, you learn a lot about yourself cycling and it turns out peer pressure is my weekness, if a jump had a spectator or marshall beside it, in the name of entertainment they were getting a to see some air or a spectacular spill. Surprisingly enough I'm still in one piece, not saying I didn't take a spill or two mind you

But seriously, nice one! it was a hell of a day!!!

dcROADIE
09-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Well done to all involved, from a spectators perspective it was great craic throwing abuse at everyone as they passed through the bombhole at the end, fair play to anyone who took the small gap jump there as it seemed to take out it's fair share of riders, probably didn't help that there was a chorus of "JUMP, JUMP, JUMP" everytime a rider approached. Good to see the sport being promoted amongst the very young as well!

Don
09-15-2008, 03:10 PM
When I went through there people were shouting questions at me about tyre pressures!! I nailed the jump thankfully, unlike that Fergal fella (although you do get a bigger cheer for crashing there), oh yes and it was 28psi front, 33 psi rear.

Luke
09-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks to everyone involved, what a great day.
Fair play to Vincent and the lads for sorting all the uplifts, no mean feat to get about 700 riders up the top of a mountain over the course of a day.
Great to see it from both sides of the fence with a bit of racing and a bit of marshalling. You really understand how much work is involved and what its all for!

damdugg
09-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Many many thanks to all involved the course was amazing , it got better and better despite the rain. And to all of the marshalls easily the worst job to have to do considering all of them are avid bikers , thanks for giving up your day .

The medals and trophys were excellent very well done Richie and Stewert they were the business

It has been said before but i really do think the blast format is the future of racing for the masses , it is Irelands answer to the mega and a blast race series would be amazing , as skippy and a few others have mentioned it brings out the ordinary guys and girls who dont really want to race either DH or XC but at the same time want a taste but in a fun mental way with no real pressure apart from a bit of blood pressure and may some tire pressure too

Thanks again
Damo

daggett
09-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the great day, the track was great and twas a real challenge to surf the mud. A paddle would have been handy in several places, but real men don't use paddles.

Here's some footage of the Blast race, taken down near to bottom of the track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeY_S3Amyrw

crackers
09-15-2008, 05:13 PM
What a great day, the uplifts ,the food , the track was something else ,in fact it was utterly amazing. i swear there is nothing more more funny than watching someone ride without a saddle and I even beat morgan in my heat , that was all luck though , absolutely no skill needed :).Really encouraged me to start doing a bit more DH now.Think i might sell the I drive and get something a little more substantial.
Great work Epic !!!

nat
09-15-2008, 07:35 PM
well done everyone and big huge thanx to all diggers & marshalls & bakers & car parkers & ...&...&...&...

but particularly to the people at the top of the hill!!! Man it was certainly not nice up there... but getting the crowds going in the mist & rain.... some job!!! Well done & thanx to Sean & Jack!!!
Not to forget poor Paul & his tunes.... they were quite cheerful & helped to navigate in the mist :-)

Well done guys & thanx for a great mucky Sunday !

brianod
09-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Great day yesterday, a credit to Richie, Epic, all the organisers and racers and everyone else involved. There's a summary of the mountain rescue involvement on our website:
www.dwmrt.ie

Big thank you to the marshall on the other end of the phone (Cathal?), the folk that abandoned their race to help out, the man that transported some of our kit, all the other people that helped out.

I took some pictures on the Saturday when I was checking out the track and also early in the day before we got busy:

http://picasaweb.google.com/brianodoherty/BlastRecceSaturday13th?authkey=WwCfgMeaB0E#

http://picasaweb.google.com/brianodoherty/Blast?authkey=y_tMUz9s-cM#

Byrner
09-15-2008, 08:32 PM
thanks lads and lassies..the Blast is where anybody can have a go..from Goober to savage..
there were only a few sprint finishes and sneaky overtaking at the finish..
now, if you have suggestions or ideas to help us ,please send them to me by email only,
richie.byrne@gmail.com
we were overwhelmed by the lack of parking..hats off to mr Mulligan for allowing us the use of his Golf Course Car park.
he couldn't believe the amount of people that turned up. before he gave us the use of it ( Thanks to Skippy) he had been abused by a couple of random goobers using ballinastoe of a weekend.
So if you are using the trails down there bear the man in mind and refrain from parking in his premises.
I would suggest too, that everybody write to Coillte and lobby them to build a decent sized car park.
we got 250 people, we will have to limit the entry in the coming years, so bear that in mind.
We will be using online sign on and registration in the future.
I thought the uplifts were brilliant though and the guys driving them true gentlemen.
I was delighted to see a decent gang of kids for the mini Blast..
a big thanks though to all of the Clubs and bandits that turned up and I hop you all had a great time,
Richie

Redbeard
09-15-2008, 10:53 PM
A few pics from Aine's Camera.

http://picasaweb.google.com/conor.conneff/EPICBLASTIVPart1#

http://picasaweb.google.com/conor.conneff/EPICBLASTIVPart2#

bjpower
09-16-2008, 09:58 AM
the blast was so good im considering giving up smoking. just so i might be able to breath on the way down. well done and thanks to all involved, bloody fantastic.

Basil Fawlty
09-16-2008, 12:09 PM
The smoking was so good I'm considering giving up mountainbiking...

gregc
09-17-2008, 04:56 PM
well done to all involved with organising and building the track, you really went all out for this one lads, was a savage day and deadly craic. on saturday morning i got there hoping for a top 30 or so and came 4th so ami'm happy! them cakes are the end were the bizz, we should have them at all races! :D