PDA

View Full Version : Helmet use

skippy
09-08-2008, 03:07 PM
As i was walking down from digging yesterday i could not believe how many plonkers ride up there without helmets. Id say in the space of 20/25 minutes i had seen 3 riders without.
Might be no harm for the powers that be to consider erecting signs highly recommending helmet use.
I remember the day after i bought my first helmet i hated wearing it.. but said feck it just try it and see how it goes..well i was beating down somewhere in Glenda when boom.. bash.. crack.. agh. I went over the bars a whacked me head of a rock.
So i can safely say.. only i had my helmet on things would have been VERY different.

WISE UP FOOLS!

Don
09-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Its only a matter of time before someone bins themselves in a big way up there. I think we have all been on spins and seen accidents that without a helmet would have resulted in death or serious brain injury. Its madness, if you are stopped and see someone without a lid it would do no harm to enlighten them.

Mac the Knife
09-08-2008, 03:26 PM
I couldn't agree more... its insane and the 'powers that be' are leaving themselves wide open for not putting up signs... it really is only a matter of time before someone destroys themselves up there...

Still though, I'll never forget the day myself, the Byrne lad and the Mulchrone lad were sitting at the Bike King's stall having a cup of scald when some complete cretan cycles by wearing full upper body armour... but no helmet...!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: What a twat..!

GavD
09-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Ah Gerry I'm sure he just had to protect his GUNS, I'm sure you're the same :)

Byrner
09-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Hey, if I come across a plonker lying on the track with no helmet on in pain or dying, i'm robbing his pants and shoes..imagine his embarrasment when the emergency services arrive..

j1x
09-09-2008, 01:46 PM
be careful though - that might be your embarrasment if they happen to arrive whilst you have his pants halfway down !!

Byrner
09-09-2008, 01:48 PM
do you honestly think i'd care Johnny, do you now !!

PeterOF
09-09-2008, 04:27 PM
jaysus I recall it like it were only yesteryear, Al Sarhan arrives out, few of us out for a spin and oul Al has brought his helmet but won't wear it cos it's not cool man or summat. Anyway, one verbal lashing later from Richie and said helmet on our Al flies down the track and almost immediately bins hisself, very nearly concussed and that's with the lid on.

And as for the poor unfortunate I saw headbutt the concrete pillar in UCD without a lid, his head expanded like you were pumping it with a track pump, amazing stuff.

I was showing someone how to check your helmet is ok and discovered mine was cracked right the way through - so those of us that tend to crash should really check the lids every now and then too. Moral high ground is great except when it doesn't protect ya!

dayday,
pd

ps: the other view
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0828/1219680139697.html