PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a bike...

Don
09-05-2008, 03:31 PM
It may be that time, my NRS needs a few bits so it got me thinking about maybe getting something new.

My wishlist is -
Sub €2000
Min 120mm up front
4.5” - 6” at the rear
Must be able to climb well yet relish bating downhill, if it is poor to climb I don’t want to know.
Not fussy on components, anything in this price bracket will be OK.
I will be swapping over my tubeless wheels

I like Giants, the Reign caught my eye but what is she like to climb? The Trance also looks good but only 100mm up front sucks. I really dig my NRS, actually, what I want is an NRS with a bit more travel at the back, maybe a more robust fork than my Marzochi 120 ETA as a ride a bit harder than I used to. Some of the Canyons seem to fit the bill.

Are Treks crap? The Trek Fuel EX 8 looks tasty, but I never see anyone on Treks...

Hit me with your wisdom folks...

Masochst
09-05-2008, 03:43 PM
http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant_trance_x1.html

giant trance x - 5 inch travel - <1600 stg

Morgan
09-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Lapierre Zesty? Close to your budget. The rear end looks kinda like an NRS. 140mm travel.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=233&idproduct=17868

al
09-05-2008, 04:07 PM
the fuels are class and so are the trances get one or the other. Don't waste your time with anything else. Unless you want to up your budget and get something from a more boutique manufacturer

al
09-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Lapierre Zesty? Close to your budget. The rear end looks kinda like an NRS. 140mm travel.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=233&idproduct=17868

mad flexy back end on them

Byrner
09-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Don..you need to get a god pair of hams on you and get a Patriot or a morewood nguna or ibuzzi,iquana...the st one inanyways..
everybody has one of those Giants..
go on..

Ken
09-05-2008, 04:23 PM
feeling innovative don? Apparently the last one is dual functional...

Bren
09-05-2008, 04:57 PM
It's the 2007 model but savage bike. Climbs very well.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19661

Don
09-05-2008, 05:05 PM
the fuels are class and so are the trances get one or the other. Don't waste your time with anything else. Unless you want to up your budget and get something from a more boutique manufacturer

Which Fuel would you suggest?

yitzak
09-05-2008, 05:59 PM
I belive the good people of korea have a brand new ESKA in the pipe line. Its retro but well worth a try. Flash back to the late 70,s check out thier web site.

Dethshed
09-05-2008, 06:18 PM
160mm back and front?
Climbs nicely and but loves Cloon in a DH direction?
Blast ready?
1 euro change?
Suits you sir!

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/index.html?b=59

Frame New Torque FR, 7500 Series Aluminium, Opti-Size Alloy Tubeset
Rear Shock Answer Evolver ISX-6
Fork RockShox Lyric IS U-Turn Coil
Headset Integrated Headset
Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT Shadow
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore XT E-Type
Shifters Shimano Deore XT SL-M770
Brake leversF ormula „The One“
Brakes Formula „The One“ 200/200
Hubs Sun Ringlé Demon
Cassette Shimano Deore XT 11-34
Rims Sun Ringlé EQ 29 SVD
Tires Schwalbe Big Betty Gooey Gluey 2.4“ / Big Betty 2.4“
Cranks Truvativ Hussefelt 2.2
Chainrings 36/24
Bottom Bracket Truvativ Howitzer XR
Stem Truvativ Holzfeller
Handle bar Truvativ Holzfeller 680 mm, 25 mm Rise
Saddle Selle Italia NT1
Seat post Thomson Elite
Pedals Auslieferung ohne
Color Sand Blasted Anodized Black or Dark Forest Green

al
09-05-2008, 07:31 PM
all the feuls are the same frame so basicly get the best one you can afford. You use your bike alot and being an old school 5 series owner I know you apreciate nice things so baiscly the more you spend the nicer stuff your going to get like tubless wheels fancier forks etc. We had an ex 7 in the shop and it was sweet and around your price tag but i'd reccomend stepping up to the ex 8

Don
09-05-2008, 07:56 PM
I think I have the Horn of Eldorado for that Trek EX8, what would that sucka set me back Al? Those Canyons look good too, this one looks interesting....

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/index.html?b=171

Don
09-05-2008, 07:58 PM
What's the story with Specialzed, does anybody by them any more after Dave's experience??? I read his book "Zen and the Art of Bicycle Maintenance". It didn't have a happy ending.

al
09-05-2008, 08:13 PM
specialized have gone off the ball since they started messing round with there own forks etc. Trek are the new specialized. Ill pm you some prices tomorrow when im in work

Bren
09-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Hi Don
I have a canyon Torque Fr9. It's a fantastic bike. It's not as good a climber as the Slayer but not far off. It's much better on the way down than the Slayer and Jumps like a dream.
If you hang on a while you'll see a few of the 08 models come up on sale in the outlet. Should get one for about 2 grand and you won't beat the spec for price anywhere.
The Fr8 has Rockshock Lyric's with lock out and travel adjust. Might be better for climbing. Mine has 36VansRC2. Super fork but no lock out.
Your welcome to have a spin on mine if you want. It might be a bigger bike than your after though. Reign and Slayer would be lighter but wouldn't take the same abuse.
Hoarse for courses and all that

Don
09-05-2008, 08:29 PM
I should have mentioned I won't be jumping, I like my rubber on the ground so I think the Torque range wouldn't suit me, the Nerve AM series looks more my style.

I look forward to that killer price Al, remember I have kids, hungry kids, and don't have a BMW anymore...

Byrner
09-05-2008, 09:21 PM
buy the trek..
But the trek

SHAM
09-05-2008, 09:40 PM
I have an 07 enduro, replaced fork lowers once, full fork once, rear shock once and both wheels rebuilt. Also managed to break two bones off it, yours for 2k.

Don
09-05-2008, 10:34 PM
I have an 07 enduro, replaced fork lowers once, full fork once, rear shock once and both wheels rebuilt. Also managed to break two bones off it, yours for 2k.

OK I'll take it, but I'd like to see the 2k first.

Nivek
09-06-2008, 02:33 AM
Hi Don

I went through the same thing last march, looked at Trek fuel 8's & the giant reign 1, in the end i bought the reign and it's just the best thing ever for XC, steep rocky downhill, fast loose descents, climbs like a dream, it's only 28lbs so even someone as unfit as me can get uphill fast enough.

If you need further proof of how good it is just drop over and you can take it for a spin ;-) it's so good i haven't even had to fix anything on it with my trusty rock yet,

I even took it to the bike park for a few days of madness before i bought something bigger just for that.

Don
09-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Nice one Kev, sounds like it would fit the bill nicely, I'll add it to my shortlist

Waldorf
09-06-2008, 09:21 AM
This is what you need.... Very similar geometry to your NRS
http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/index.html?b=172

karlos
09-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Don ,If theres ever a man for a 6in steed its you.Your decending will be savage and fun.Check chain reaction for Slayers they were flogging some earlier in the year 1500stg complete.See if you can still get older enduro in uk.Im very happy with Morewood Shova you can borrow it for a try if you like.

roc
09-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Or you could get yourself a little used yeti 575 on ebay for that. Find a seller who'll mark it as 'gift' (most will in my experience). Really good both up and down the mtn.

voodoofruit
09-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Buy the reign... 6" is way better than 5".

RichardL
09-07-2008, 05:35 PM
You'll buy a Specialized Stumpjumper now for €2000!

Don
09-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Interesting suggestions people, Gmac got me thinking about Cannondale Prophets as well, seems like they get a lot of positive feedback and Gerrys sure felt sweet, the single pivot keeps it simple but are there any downsides to the design? I'm an old dog so don't like learning new tricks, I suspect that a Giant/Trek route might feel more like the NRS but with a bit more edge.

Having said all that the old girl felt brilliant on the Blast course today, even with a leaky shock, until the mech hanger blew up.

al
09-07-2008, 10:59 PM
the single pivots like the cannondale, orange and morewood are great mega low maintence. Orange actually give you a 2 year warrenty on a new frame followed up with a 5 year on the pivot bearings. They tend to be much stiffer latterally than the linkage bikes which makes for better handling. The downside is that the rear end is not quite as active as a linkage bike. Pivot location on the singlepivot is crucial and a small difference in relation to the distance from the centre of the bb will dramatically the riding characteristics of the bike. The Orange 5, Morewood Shova and Cannondale Prophet all have a pretty similar pivot location.

Forgot to mention that some of the long standing single pivot frame manufacturers are starting to play around with linkages to control the leverage on the shock to make the bike more progresive or regressive as it goes through its travell depending on it application. Cannondale have started going back to linkages to do this.

Byrner
09-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Don, have you learned nothing...all the mtb gods ride single pivot bikes..

Cathal
09-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Slayer

ColinB
09-08-2008, 09:27 AM
I'd buy....

The Trek Fuel EX8, basically perfect spec, XT, nice forks & shock.

Or

The Commencal 5.5.1 / 5.5.2

The Prophets are nice but I'm not completely convinced by Cannondale's, Gerry's bike is sweet but it's bling-ed to bits so it's out of the €2000 range (unless you're an ebay ninja)

Also, pure single pivots rely on perfect shock setup to get the most out of the bike whereas the linkage or floater bikes rely on the geometry to get the most out of it, as a preference I'd go for the linkage bike and put up with the fact that I'll need to service bearings.
(If I was buying a DH bike again I wouldn't go single pivot... just preference)

The new Orange ST4 is nice, but might not be what you're looking for.

As for the Canyon's..... ehhh I'd leave the Lidl bikes out of it for now....

Don
09-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Slayer looks a bit too hardcore, the Etsx 50 has always appealed, but that suspension setup looks like a potential money pit..

Scrivo
09-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Trek Remedy 8

Fat Fecker
09-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Trek or Specialized FSR. New 2009 bikes are showing their faces at the moment, so wait for them, or haggle on a 2008. go for linkage, as Colin says... I have never replaced the bearings on my enduro, all I do is regrease them every 6months.. takes about 1hr. worry more about geometry than travel, and try a few bikes to see what suits. My enduro is available to borrow if you want, I reckon your riding style would hate it. At least you'll see what you don't want from a bike. Al knows his oxo's when it comes to this subject, so take his opinion above every other..

Don
09-08-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm leaning toward the EX 8 at this stage, everything I hear is good.

Pete
09-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Don keep the giant and bring mrs Don away for a dirty weekend

Nivek
09-08-2008, 02:23 PM
When i bought my Giant one of the guys at work bought the trek ex9 and was telling me how deadly it was until he realized that it was 1lb lighter, had only 5" front and back instead of 6".

He only used it a handful of times before he bought something with more travel and now he's selling it

buy the giant dude it's fockin deadly

Don
09-08-2008, 02:44 PM
How much does he want for the EX9? I haven't discounted the Trance X1, I'm not going for the Reign as I don't need or want 6 inches big boy.

Nivek
09-08-2008, 03:01 PM
it's in whistler so it might take a while to get over there, he paid a lot of money for it and i would imagine he wants a lot, gave me a funny look when i offered him a grand for it last week.....
get the reign, you might think you don't need 6" but when you're looking down a big rocky descent you'll be glad you've got it, think of all the new things you can throw yourself down

Don
09-08-2008, 03:09 PM
You've obviously forgotten what kind of terrain we have here, most of our riding does not involve big, rocky descents, most of it is mud and slippery stuff, who needs 6" for that? I think you have forgotten your roots (geddit?),

Nivek
09-08-2008, 03:16 PM
oh no dude, we have a lot of roots here in Squamish, and lots of slippy muddy descents as well, it's just the trails are much longer and much faster
but just think when you come over here to visit or head to France etc you'll be glad that your bike has 6" & that you're on your own bike and know all it's tricks

Get the reign, you can take mine for a spin if you want to check

Don
09-08-2008, 06:41 PM
I'll be right over...Kev, ever since you left the recession has kicked in hard, how did you know it was coming, was it that Clive hadn't bought a new bike for 4 weeks? I have three plumbers tendering to install a plastic plug in my ensuite, one of the them has offered to do it for free and throw in one of is daughters. But I've seen her and reckon I can do better. How are things over there?

The_Happy_Fairy
09-08-2008, 09:02 PM
You can certainly take my one for a spin Mr. Don, Reign 1, its the best all round bike I have ever had. From six hour savage xc spins to DH it can do it all. Having said that the Trek Fuels are getting great reviews and look pretty good too.

Don
09-09-2008, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the offer Sean, as good as the Reign is I don't think I need that much travel, I'm used to a lot less and as you know, I don't jump. Still, I won't discount her just yet.

honourablegeorge
09-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the offer Sean, as good as the Reign is I don't think I need that much travel, I'm used to a lot less and as you know, I don't jump. Still, I won't discount her just yet.

Trance X? Has an inch-ish more travel than a regular trance, might be the perfect middle ground.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s1p1738&tbv=GIANT_Trance_X1_BIKES_Mountain_Bikes_-_Full_Suspension

Don
09-09-2008, 08:54 AM
That was my thinking, see my poll, it neck and neck.

j1x
09-09-2008, 09:59 AM
http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s1p1505

getting rave reviews most places, well specced pretty much xt throughout, have 1 in templelogue hollingsworth if u want to have a look