PDA

View Full Version : Proposed 2011 Euro Masters in Ireland cancelled

RSSFeed
08-12-10, 03:50 PM
Communication from Cycling Ireland
European Masters Update (http://www.cyclingireland.ie/Home/News/2011-UEC-Masters-MTB-Championships-Update.aspx)
Cycling Ireland were awarded the 2011 UEC Masters downhill and cross-country championships, the location selected being Shronaboy approximately 6 kilometres from Killarney. Planning permission was sought and obtained for a purpose built downhill trail. An application for grant aid to build the facility will not be heard until early 2011, as a consequence it will not be possible to have a downhill trail in place for the 2011 championships. In addition the prevailing economic situation makes it highly unlikely that funding for the running of the championships will be forthcoming, particularly from government sources.
The UEC have been informed and alternative hosts for both the downhill and XC championships are being sought. While it was possible to run the XC discipline as a stand-alone event Cycling Ireland felt that keeping the two championships together presented a more viable option to potential hosts.
Cycling Ireland continue to work on successful completion of the Shronaboy downhill trail and are grateful for the continued support from Kerry CC, South Kerry Partnership, Fáilte Ireland, and landowners Con and Eileen O’Donoghue. It is envisaged that, assuming the grant application is successful, that the Shronaboy downhill trail will be completed by autumn 2011.
Cycling Ireland are deeply disappointed that it is not in a position to honour the awarding of the 2011 UEC championships to it but look forward to welcoming participants to the 2014 elite marathon XC championships and the 2015 masters downhill and XC championships.

More... (http://www.irishxcmtb.com/2010/12/08/proposed-2011-euro-masters-in-ireland-cancelled/)

Mac the Knife
08-12-10, 04:05 PM
Ah now that's just great news... we're being sh!t on from every f'ing angle... cheers cycling ireland... fantastic planning as usual you useless bunch of pr!cks...!!

Icyseanfitz
08-12-10, 04:06 PM
what a great chance to have brought jobs and business to the killarney area :mad:

Max Power
08-12-10, 04:18 PM
Is this for real? I can understand that getting ready for the football world cup or olympics requires a lot of planning, permissions and millions from the budget but to build 2tracks made of dirt and a few sticks??? And they had 2 years to organise it!!

RichardL
08-12-10, 04:22 PM
What a shambles! A complete embarrassment from start to ignominious finish! I would love to know the complete history of this fiasco!

Byrner
08-12-10, 04:52 PM
hey, me and my friends could run both in Carrick at the drop of a hat !!! but what would me,Robin Seymour and Joe McCall know !

Byrner
08-12-10, 04:55 PM
actually stay tuned !!

gazpw
08-12-10, 05:08 PM
Fcuk sake, this would have been brilliant for Irish Mountain biking, gutted.

Bren
08-12-10, 05:14 PM
FFS. Cycling Ireland is a joke.

Byrner
08-12-10, 06:01 PM
as Richard said the whole thing was a joke from the start..we were at the venue earlier this year for an XC NPS and we knew then it was never going to happen.
In fact any of us at MTB more than a few years knew it was never going to happen. People with huge experience of domestic and International events were ignored.
Big frickin deal, The Blast will be bigger than it was ever going to be ..
jesus i heard some **** and bull stories about this White Elephant...I can safely say the people behind it didn't have a clue and wouldn't listen to those of us that do..
The biggest crime here was announcing it in the first place and codding people in to thinking it was going to happen.

jackson
08-12-10, 06:04 PM
Fcuk sake, this would have been brilliant for Irish Mountain biking, gutted.

your not wrong there but seeing as it was all being kept secret from irish mountain bikers it was bound to be a complete fcuking disaster. just a few weeks ago when the subject was raised at the offroad commissions agm no one knew anything about it(this is not a dig at offroad commission they were in the dark as much as the rest of us).in fairness someone in cycling ireland has to take the fall for this,maybe move on to politics !

Byrner
08-12-10, 06:36 PM
this is the way these things should be done
http://uec-federation.eu/img/2/EYMCh_Presentation.pdf

Byrner
08-12-10, 06:41 PM
I'd say there will be some aggro at these lads next meeting !!
http://uec-federation.eu/management_committee/european_cycling_union_uec-s3.html

RichardL
08-12-10, 06:46 PM
I'd say there will be some aggro at these lads next meeting !!
http://uec-federation.eu/management_committee/european_cycling_union_uec-s3.html

I assume that the fact that the Irish member of the committee comes from Kerry is a coincidence?

Byrner
08-12-10, 06:48 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahaha..don't tell me you never knew that, he used to be the President of CI.

BrianW
08-12-10, 06:53 PM
This is reminiscent of another great KERRY politician who looks after his own constituency and creates a national embarrassment............. does he wear also wear a nice flat cap?????

seanieboy
08-12-10, 07:33 PM
so they had to go and build a new one, is there nowhere already built that could have done...............typical crap lets build another one at twice the price..........

Byrner
08-12-10, 07:43 PM
don't be fretting kids..there are plenty of other things to do in 2011 and as reports go, the Euros is not as big a deal as you think. I suspect we got it because nobody else wanted it.
I think its a blessing we are not running it. it would have been a crap one and that would have been far worse than cancelling it.
Ticknock is the place to run this. Theres already a DH track up there with a tarmac road to the top and any amount of single track and trails to run.
With Hotels within staggering distance and countless pubs. Cop on to yourselves , not to mention one of the biggest airports in Europe, ferry terminals and the wealthiest County Council in Ireland.
I could run this with EPIC and friends, if I got the venue and you know thats a fact
Richie

Icyseanfitz
08-12-10, 07:51 PM
still hoping they build that dh track as it would basically be right next door :) damn it il go out there and build it myself get me a jcb haha

jackson
08-12-10, 07:57 PM
do it richie do it!!if we all pull together we can do this and save ourselves some bit of national embarrassment.

Transporter
08-12-10, 07:59 PM
Burner, put a team together. Let's run it never mind CI.

Byrner
08-12-10, 08:10 PM
Ok..
forward all offers of help, sponsorship and venues to richie.byrne@gmail.com and any ideas need to be backed up with actions, none of this, " you should do this " bullsh!t..
what was the proposed date ?

Andrew
08-12-10, 08:27 PM
Ok..
forward all offers of help, sponsorship and venues to richie.byrne@gmail.com and any ideas need to be backed up with actions, none of this, " you should do this " bullsh!t..
what was the proposed date ?

Deadly, that decision took just over 10 mins. Thats the way to get things done.

I'll help, give me a job.

Byrner
08-12-10, 08:52 PM
Jesus..I have to do everything myself..
its August 22nd to August 28th.
So even if we just do August 24th

Wednesday Aug 24th Welcoming Ceremony and Fireworks/ pasta Party/ The Captain and the Crew play live.
Thursday 25th - AM Trade Village opens - PM 4 X Seeding runs PPM Mac the Knife Groovy Jazz party
Friday 26th - Am 4X Finals PM Team Relay PPM DJ Yeti ( Colin Bright ) lashes out the Tunes
Also DH Course Walk and Seeding runs.
Saturday 27th Am onwards European masters Championships PM XC Awards Ceremony and Party
Sunday 28th AM Euro DH CHAMPS PM PARTY and more Prizegiving.

This is just a wild fantasy plan..obviously sanity and logistics will play a minor role.

Alfie
08-12-10, 09:14 PM
their gonna love this on www.mtbpositivityireland.com

Byrner
08-12-10, 09:14 PM
or you can all go **** yourselves and I can save the mighty Organisation and the millions in sponsorship for The Blast !!

gregc
08-12-10, 09:29 PM
If you're planning the 4x and Euro's DH like the timetable says then you've got this to compete with...

http://www.ixsdownhillcup.com/cups-en/ixs-em

Funny how you've already given out more info and hype than there was in the last year for the event when it was being held in Kerry.

Byrner
08-12-10, 09:38 PM
feckin Zermatt ...i've been there !! deadly buzz..I can always change the date Greg !! my proposal so far is just hype and an attempt to prove we can do it !!
It would help a lot of we had a weekend in August not clashing with anything..thats your job so Greg !

gregc
08-12-10, 09:45 PM
Well there's two world cups, an NPS in Carrick and the Euro's on in August so that's every weekend taken. Unles you run it with the Carrick NPS which would make it even better if possible!

But, this calendar says the Euro's in Kerry were due to be on the 30th of June, which sounds more like the date I'd heard before. It also lists everything thats on through the year for you to look at...

RichardL
09-12-10, 08:04 AM
their gonna love this on www.mtbpositivityireland.com

Yeh .... but they're right this time!

ColinB
09-12-10, 12:34 PM
I'll DJ at it if you build me a hospital

skippy
09-12-10, 01:50 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldnt bother if I were you..bail them fookers out!!...they fook up and we fix it..are you off you nut!!..We ran some savage events over the last few years and got fook all thanks, ..Save your time, money and efforts to run a super duper looper off the scale 2011 Blast...

Byrner
09-12-10, 03:09 PM
thats fierce true Skip..that poxy offroad commission included didn't recognise our efforts even..damn them, damn them all to hell!!

Coyner
10-12-10, 07:29 AM
If you guys did end up taking this on with support of other clubs etc , and I would'nt blame you for not wanting too , you might consider Kaz Balinskis place , Glendalough House for a venue.

The very big 4x track is pretty much finished. Robin has build a very nice XC loop , which would need to be expanded for racing , but the potential is there in spades. Only track missing is the DH , which I think Kaz has in the planning ?? Probably not relevant but they also have a mega slopestyle track nearly complete too.

Also , plenty of parking / accommodation infrastructure already in place , they ran a Festival there with around 1500 people in September.

It certainly has potential to be a showcase venue for visitors.

Byrner
10-12-10, 07:33 AM
yeah, i was going to give Kaz a ring about it !

Byrner
10-12-10, 08:05 AM
ok people if you are interested in getting on board for this and didn't recieve an email from me, let me know.
Theres 3 reasons you didn't get a mail.
1. you're on my **** list
2. I forgot you, sorry.
3.I don't have your email

I'll leave it up to you to decide what list you are on !!
richie.byrne@gmail.com ( I fear no robots !!)

Byrner
10-12-10, 09:34 AM
one way or another theres going to be 2 massive mountainbike events in Ireland
The EPIC Blast
and
The European Masters Mountainbike Championships or the Libyan/Irish/South African MTB Championships
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2010/1210/1224285194453.html

Both in Wicklow !!

Byrner
10-12-10, 11:19 AM
Ok..
unfortunately, cycling ireland have already informed the UEC that Ireland cannot organise the European masters Championships.
I recieved a phone call from the President of Cycling Ireland, Rory Wyley himself, now we discussed it for a while and unfortunately, its now out of our hands entirely.
however i am not done yet.
Stay tuned.
Richie

jackson
10-12-10, 07:57 PM
in 1972 a team from the nca turned up at the munich olympics and crashed the road race.the nca were an "illegal " irish cycling federation,illegal because they were an all ireland federation and thus banned from international competition,the lads turned up anyway and got their heads kicked in by gsg-9 .here we are now in 2010 with an all ireland federation i wonder do the nca men of 72 think it was worth it !!