PDA

View Full Version : Off-road biking could steer 100,000 new tourists to Donegal

RSSFeed
24-05-10, 05:30 PM
Campaign for Donegal biking facility starts today!

An ambitious campaign to develop a Co. Donegal downhill mountain biking trail that could attract 100,000 tourists to the county annually is being driven by the local community.
Speaking in Letterkenny last Friday, local TD Joe McHugh set out details of a campaign for a state-of-the-art downhill mountain biking trail on forestry lands owned by Coillte in Co. Donegal.
The organisers would like all MTB’ers to email Joe McHugh describing your interest in the project. It is needed for further evidence gathering. The address is:
joe.mchugh@oireachtas.ie
They suggest the following wording in the email or something similar:
Dear Joe,
“As a mountain biking enthusiast, I am delighted to hear of the plans for a state of the art mountain biking centre in Donegal. I am currently living in [INSERT] and would consider such a centre in Donegal to be ideal to meet the needs of bikers from here and around Ireland. A centre of this nature would certainly attract myself and many of my friends to Donegal on a regular basis.
Many thanks,”
Read the full detail here (http://donegalmatters.com/article_info.php?products_id=688&osCsid=4f08b15d88 c19b2deb31a239283e86a4).

More... (http://www.irishxcmtb.com/2010/05/24/off-road-biking-could-steer-100000-new-tourists-to-donegal/)

Max Power
24-05-10, 06:56 PM
100,000 tourists annually equals to 280 bikers visiting the trail every day...very optimistic.
But I suppose every little bit helps, good to see initiatives like this. I'll drop him an e-mail :)

SHAM
24-05-10, 07:58 PM
100,000 tourists annually equals to 280 bikers visiting the trail every day...very optimistic.
But I suppose every little bit helps, good to see initiatives like this. I'll drop him an e-mail :)

Max, I was over in Afan valley in Wales last week and they reckon the guy who ran the bike hotel we stayed in reckoned they are getting 30000 bikers a month in the area during the peak of the summer. Sounded a bit far fethed at the time but every second car had bikes on the roof so you never know.

This definitely deserves our support if nothing else.